Chapter Nineteen (RadioStatic) Human AU: Family Friends to Lovers

A/N: This is a long one. Enjoy! Credits to my friend who helped me with this chapter!

New Orleans, Louisiana,
June 12, 1924

Vincent Schwarz was the sole heir of the Schwarz family. He was seven years old when his family moved to the swamps of LA. Not the sparkly LA you think, no. Louisiana. Dark and slimy and wet Louisiana. His mother and father had promised him new opportunities of business or something, but he didn't really pay attention. He was only seven after all.

They arrived at their house. A big and beautiful mansion with gorgeous columns in the front. The mansion had sat in their name for ages, and as the tensions rose in New York, gang related violence and petty crime, his father swept them away.

They packed up everything, including Vin's toys, all of his clothing, as well as Helen's frilly hats and dresses (that Vin didn't seem to know why his mother had so many), as well as his father's watch collection and the whiskey. Why his father liked the horrid smelling liquid was beyond him. He was a little disappointed that they had to leave the beautiful city of New York but with the brief explanation of why, he somewhat understood. He knew that it would be better for the family business, at least that's what he was told.

The car ride from New York to Louisiana was long. Vin couldn't sit still during some time of the long car trip, rambling about the new friends he hoped to make as well as his new school he'd be going to. Helen smiled lovingly at her son, reaching back to pat him on his knee.

"You sure are excited aren't ya?" Her New York accent was heavy on her tongue as she spoke. Her husband huffed beside her, but shared a loving look with her. She married into the Schwarz family, and very briefly knew some German before essentially learning the full language to better communicate between her son and husband. Vincent nodded excitedly as he looked out the car window, watching as the trees seemed to zip by as they neared their final destination.

As they drove across the border and into the state, he loved how beautiful the sunset was. He always did have a secret awe for astrology and the sky. Of course his mother was the only person to know that... And his grandmother before she died a few years ago. He was excited but his excitement turned into nervousness and anxiety. He saw how small the town was as well as the muck and humidity of Louisiana.

"We'll adapt, don't worry," his mother spoke, pulling him out of his trance. He looked at her and nodded slowly, sitting with his hands in his lap, biting the inside of his cheek. It was relatively a short drive from one county to the next, and soon enough they were driving into New Orleans. His mother awed at almost everything. The woman loved to travel and sight-see. She pulled out her camera from her bag that was her feet, taking pictures of the landscapes as well as buildings. Vin rolled his eyes a little and sat with his arms crossed but when his father pulled into the driveway of the mansion, his jaw dropped a little. The house was beautiful. The front yard had beautiful rose bushes that were well taken care of, as well as a very beautiful back lawn.

"Well. This is it. It's a beaute, ain't it?" Robert said, stopping the car and getting out with his wife and Vin following.

"It's wonderful, dear," Helen spoke with a smile on her face, kissing her husband's cheek as she helped Vin out of the car. Then, when they heard the tell tale sign of an automobile, their heads turned to glance over. The Hartfelt family had gotten the news they would be expecting neighbours and of course, being the woman she was, Maybel insisted they meet them and help them set up. She may have made her infamous cinnamon and sugar cookies (yes, her son stole a few to nibble on during the short car ride). Once the car was parked, the tan skinned woman got out with her son following closely behind her, holding onto her skirt as she and him walked up to the family.