...Donovan...

"Have you ever thought that you are living the wrong life?" Cameron asked me.
"If we choose for ourselves, we will choose better than what we have?"

"Have you started studying philosophy?"

"Besides a reflection on all this chaos that is happening, nothing more."

"So we simply rewrite what has been written." I said with a sigh.

"So there is no point in wishing or not?"

"I'm not entirely in agreement." I said.
"We can make small choices like how we spend our days or what we want to be."

Cameron was settled in front of the work computer while I continued to sit, sitting in another chair, far away, close to the window, half hidden behind the curtain of the room, watching the snowflakes collide brutally with each other. It was exactly lunch break time. I wouldn't go to a restaurant to pass the little time we had to eat. I had ordered food at a restaurant to share with Cameron, who had been saving on everything lately until he bought his own house, even though I had found him a modest entrance.

"Lately I've been thinking about the issue." I added after a pregnant silence.

"What have you been thinking about?" he said, filling a spoon with risotto.

"Think about the apple fruit." I said imagining an apple in my half-gathered hand.
"Think a little that all those killings that have happened are pieces of the apple."

"And?"

"Like any other crime, these serial killings have a source...an origin." I said, counting my fingers one by one.
"After you peel an apple and cut it into pieces, there is nothing left but a core filled with seeds. We need to find the core to have a clearer background of these murders."

"So, do you say that the first murder was not the source?" he said, shaking the empty spoon.
"Meaning somewhere else the source has occurred?"

"Exactly." I said, waving my fingers.
"We need to find the "original sin"."

"We need to talk to the departments of other countries if we want an answer." he added, keeping his eyes on the plate.

"We'll talk to the boss after we finish lunch."

I tried very hard to focus on the case and see it as a priority in my life. In one way or another, I had to get my mind off the things that had happened recently and precisely those that were related to my past. Every conversation I had was related to murder topics, never reaching the true enigmas of our lives. It suffocated me to some extent.

"Mr. Mayfire, Mr. Sinclair, the boss wants to see you both." Officer Burke said, whom I didn't even notice when he entered, nor did I hear him.

"We'll come now, thank you." Cameron responded.

"So what could have happened now?" I asked as the door closed.

"I feel a promotion in the air." Cameron said, gathering the leftovers.

"As if..."

After making sure we had collected everything and wiped away any traces of food that might have remained on our lips, we headed straight to the boss's office without wasting time. Mental exhaustion had turned into a real slaughterhouse where everything had become tedious and too tiring, and I almost made it a habit to consider the case cold, but I never forgot that poor distinctive mark I had left hanging on this issue.

"Boss." I said, opening the door after knocking.

"Come in!" he invited us in.

We both entered. In the boss's office, a tall man stood in front of his desk. I threw a glance that followed a line from his brown hair to his feet covered by a pair of good black leather shoes, polished in black. The same gaze started again but this time it broke when our eyes met. The reason for the call had to be this person.