...Donovan...

With trembling hands, I turn on the car engine. I turned the steering wheel as the sweat on my palms formed on its surface. The wheels screeched as they formed a blur in front of me. The car seemed to be flying on the asphalt roads. Every passing second felt like an eternity, breaking my own limits of endurance. Every turn, every small traffic encounter seemed to mock my desperate plea for time to move faster.

"Oh, Lord, have mercy," I whispered, feeling weak. "Don't take that away from me. Not now."

My heart was pounding in my chest. Everything was engulfed in a cacophony of fear and anxiety. The car's engine roared in my ears, matching the intensity of my emotions. With every meter I covered, it felt like it wasn't the wheels spinning but my own mind. My mind started playing out dreadful scenarios. Memories I had with Celia became tainted by my worst fears.

Finally, the car came to a stop in front of her house, leaving skid marks on the road. I stepped out of the car, my legs feeling like lead. I grabbed the service weapon from the car seat and loaded it. Through my eyes, I could see the main door was open. I approached and pushed it, feeling a shiver run down my spine. A strange unease settled in my stomach. I took steps with the weapon ready to move in all directions. It might have seemed wrong to go in alone, but time was of the essence.

As I took a hesitant step forward, my senses heightened. The faint stale air mixed with a strange scent that somewhat resembled a butcher shop. I climbed the stairs leading to the second floor where Celia stayed during her study periods. The warm artificial light, freed by the open door, cast a large shadow on the ground. I listened for any approaching noise as I neared the entrance. I tightened my grip on the weapon. My fingers traced the gun's holster, ready to draw. I braced myself and swiftly positioned the gun as I faced Celia's room's entrance. What awaited me seemed suffocating.

"Celia!" I called out and ran towards her.

"Donovan... you came..."

"Of course, of course."

I noticed the wound at the bottom of her belly and quickly pulled the tablecloth near me to cover it. I supported Celia on my shoulder and placed the cloth over her wound to stop further bleeding.

"Everything is going to be fine, okay? Everything will be fine."

I took out my phone and dialed the ambulance number with protesting hands.

"I am Detective Mayfire, I urgently need an ambulance on Cetellman Street," I said and hung up.

"Just being here is enough... now you can... see into infinity."

"Don't speak like that."

I tried my best to remain composed and reassure Selia that everything would be fine. I continued to apply pressure on her wound, praying for the bleeding to stop until the ambulance arrived and she was ready for treatment.

"It was... Mr. Rodger..."

"I know, I know, just keep your eyes open, hear me? Don't be afraid, everything will be fine. I'm here."

"I'm not... afraid," she said between gasps.

The hemorrhage filled her mouth, making it spill from both sides. Real blood could not be compared to what was used in movies, just like death. There is no amount of horror that can prepare a person to witness the fading life of another, the loss of hope to get better, or the soul's departure. The cough shook her body, and despite the pressure, the stream of blood darkened and spread further, even staining my hands. I withdrew my hands from the cloth and cupped her head.

"Everything is... fine... mommy is here... and Tian too."

The balance of calmness is now broken. My eyes couldn't hold back the tears. Two parallel streams of tears, they flowed on my cheeks. They flowed without any effort to stop them. In that moment, I realized that what was happening was a farewell.