Chapter 2 Assignment

Faye and Mrs. Brown stood outside the academy, the cool breeze rustling through the trees.

"She signed the contract?" Faye asked, her eyes fixed on the sky, seemingly uninterested but focused.

Mrs. Brown responded softly, "She did." There was a note of sadness in her voice, something that didn't escape Faye's notice. Hmm, she sounds sad, Faye thought to herself, though she didn't dwell on it long.

A few seconds passed in silence before the sound of footsteps approaching them broke the stillness. It was Yoko, pulling a suitcase behind her, the weight of the moment clear on her face.

"Yoko, meet your primary, Ms. Faye Malisorn," Mrs. Brown introduced, her voice calm but a touch strained.

Yoko and Faye turned to face each other, sizing one another up in an instant.

So this is her—Yoko thought, trying to hide her curiosity.

The Lertprasert, Faye mused inwardly, her cold exterior betraying none of the thoughts swirling in her head.

"Faye Malisorn," the tall woman said, offering her hand for a handshake. Her tone was polite but distant. Yoko, however, just stared at Faye, her eyes studying the woman who now stood before her.

Why is she just staring at me? Is she defective or something? Faye thought, her patience thinning by the second. Urgh, this is getting annoying. She was careful not to show any of her irritation on her face, maintaining a composed and authoritative air.

"Does she speak?" Faye asked Mrs. Brown, her voice edged with a hint of anger and frustration.

She's a complete bitch! Yoko cursed internally. But before any of her emotions could show on her face, she quickly blinked, forcing a calm expression. She extended her hand and said with a practiced smile, "Forgive me, Ms. Malisorn. I'm Yoko." Her voice was steady and polite. "I look forward to working with you."

Faye raised an eyebrow but smiled slightly, offering just the barest acknowledgment. "I'm sure," she replied curtly, shaking Yoko's hand briefly before turning away.

As Faye began walking away, her long strides quick and purposeful, she stopped abruptly and glanced back at Yoko. "Join us in the car when you're ready," she said, her tone cool and indifferent. Without waiting for a response, she continued on her way.

Yoko watched Faye's figure retreat into the distance, feeling a strange mix of tension and curiosity. As she stood there, Mrs. Brown quietly stepped closer, sensing the whirlwind of emotions Yoko was trying to contain.Top of Form

"What are your ENA orders?" the older woman asked Yoko, her voice steady but commanding.

"Protect and care for the charge. Obey the primary client. Anticipate the family's needs," Yoko recited each instruction carefully, her voice calm, almost mechanical, as if she had repeated the words countless times before.

But the answer felt incomplete. The older woman turned to face Yoko more directly, her gaze firm. "Don't reveal their secrets, don't embarrass them, no shirking, no sabotage..." Mrs. Brown paused, waiting for Yoko to meet her eyes before delivering the final command, her voice lower and more serious. "...and no romance."

As if I would flirt with that woman, Yoko thought to herself, annoyed by the suggestion. "I understand. I'll make you proud," she said, her voice filled with determination.

"You already have," Mrs. Brown responded, her tone softer this time, a rare moment of affection slipping through. Without waiting for Yoko's reaction, she turned and began walking away, leaving Yoko standing there, speechless. She hadn't expected those words. They hit her harder than she thought they would. Yoko watched Mrs. Brown's figure retreat, a strange mixture of pride and confusion swelling in her chest.