Chapter 6 Plushie

The next morning

The next morning, Mikey was in her room, the atmosphere tense as she conducted an interrogation. Her tiny figure paced back and forth, a serious look plastered on her face. Her hands were clasped behind her back, and she was dressed sharply in another black suit, the kind that gave her an air of authority.

"I guess you thought I wouldn't notice," she said, her tone calm but piercing. "That I didn't care."

Her eyes bore into her target—her plush duck—who sat motionless on the bed. She stopped pacing, narrowing her eyes as she leaned slightly forward.

"You've been stealing from the Malisorns, haven't you?" Her voice had a sharp edge to it, her words precise. But then, in a flash, her mood shifted. She pointed a tiny, accusatory finger at the plush, her voice rising as she shouted, "Haven't you?!"

The plushie, of course, remained silent.

Yoko quietly approached Mikey's room, her steps soft against the floor. She gently placed her hand on the door handle and pushed it open, peeking inside with a curious expression. The scene before her was unexpected.

"Mikey?" she asked softly, her voice almost hesitant as she took in the sight of the young girl, standing rigidly in her black suit, one hand still pointed dramatically at the plush duck sitting on the bed.

Mikey, mid-interrogation, turned sharply to face Yoko, her serious demeanor unshaken by the intrusion.

"I'm busy," Mikey said without turning fully, her voice filled with the weight of her pretend interrogation.

"I... see that," Yoko replied, trying to suppress the amusement creeping into her voice. "Breakfast is ready."

She couldn't help but smile as she watched Mikey, her stern expression and the way she carried herself reminding Yoko so much of her mother, Faye. It was uncanny. Pareho kayong cute na dalawa, nakakaasar kayo, Yoko thought to herself, a warm fondness bubbling in her chest.

The kid was adorable, a miniature version of Faye, with that same determination and seriousness.

"I'll take it in my room," Mikey replied, fixing Yoko with a stern, almost comically serious look, as if the matter of breakfast was of grave importance.

Yoko chuckled softly, unfazed. "You had dinner here last night," she pointed out with a smile, her eyes sparkling with amusement. She leaned against the doorframe, folding her arms as she watched the young girl, who still maintained her air of authority.

With playful teasing in her voice, Yoko added, "Are you afraid to eat human food in front of me?"

Mikey's brows furrowed slightly at the comment, the stern expression wavering just a little. She stood tall, determined not to let Yoko's teasing get to her. But the hint of a pout forming at the corner of her lips didn't escape Yoko's notice.

"Human food?" Mikey asked, her small brows scrunched together in confusion.

Yoko leaned down closer to her, dropping her voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "It's okay. You can tell me. I've already guessed you're a... vampire."

Mikey's eyes widened in shock, her face a perfect portrait of disbelief. "WHAT?!" she blurted out.

Yoko, barely containing her amusement, continued her teasing. "It makes sense. You avoid going outside, you eat where no one can see your fangs..."

Mikey, now both worried and frustrated, shot back, "I'M NOT A VAMPIRE!"

Yoko only grinned wider, her playful tone unyielding. "That's exactly what a vampire would say."