Chapter 16 Mafiosa

WARNING:

This episode includes a depiction of violence that may be upsetting for some readers. Viewer discretion is advised. 

Yoko's room

In her room, Yoko sat cross-legged on her bed, the tablet balanced in her lap. She scrolled through the encrypted files, her frustration growing as the screen flashed 0 files with keywords found. Her mind raced as she stared at the empty results. There's nothing older than a few months on Faye's network, she thought, her brow furrowing in concentration.

No mentions of a fire. No trace of my family. It gnawed at her, the lack of any personal information linked to the Malisorns. For an organization as vast as the Venetian Mafia, this kind of data wouldn't just disappear.

If they regularly purge data, then gaining access to this system was meaningless, she thought, her determination flaring. But she couldn't accept that. No. I refuse to believe an organization as large as the Venetian Mafia doesn't keep records.

Yoko's fingers drummed lightly on the side of the tablet as her mind worked through the problem. "If they aren't kept locally..." she murmured, her gaze sharpening as she considered the next step.

Then, it hit her. "Oh! The mirroring software," Yoko whispered, her eyes widening as a eureka moment settled over her like a wave. "Of course."

Her mind raced, putting the pieces together. The actual data isn't kept on Faye's network. The mirroring software... it's sending the data somewhere else. She already had a plan forming, her fingers now moving more deliberately as she navigated through the tablet's options.

"So wherever that data is sent for safekeeping..." she trailed off, her heart quickening with excitement. With a few quick taps, Yoko dove deeper into the system, tracing the mirroring software's digital footprint.

"Aha!" she exclaimed, a triumphant grin spreading across her face. Her fist shot into the air, a gesture of victory.

What she found was exactly what she suspected—a larger network, one heavily fortified with serious firewalls and a spoofed IP address. Faye didn't have administrative access to this deeper web, but it was the real heart of the operation, where the sensitive data resided. Doesn't look like Faye's pulling the strings here.

But Yoko wasn't deterred. In fact, a devilish smile crept across her face as she formed her next move. It's expecting a packet of data from the mirroring software... she mused, her fingers hovering over the screen.