13. Waking the Fjerdan

It was brutal.

The fight. The end result. The enjoyment of it by the crowd. The pitting of man against beast.

More specifically, it was brutal to pin a Fjerdan against a wolf.

Even Winnie, with what she had seen and experienced in her lifetime, started to feel nauseous as she watched Matthias Helvar kill three wolves to survive.

She wouldn't go so far as to say she felt pity. Not until he was raised to stand and the tearstains creating thin clear lines in the dirt on his cheeks became visible.

But she was removed of any sympathy for a Fjerdan when a quick flash of her mother's beautiful face, vibrant smile, and platinum blonde hair entered into her mind and left as quickly as a shiver up the spine.

She had also cried those same tears.

She had felt robbed of something sacred to her.

She had been left alone to survive in a prison of her own.

She had been tortured and forced to fight.

Matthias may be in a similar position, but he was still a Fjerdan.

To distract herself, she decided to focus on the job at hand.

Granting him freedom from his position.

"Where are they taking him?" Nina trembled as they watched Matthias be led away in shackles.

"To a cell to sleep off the fight", Kaz answered.

"Who will see to his injuries?" Nina asked.

She sounded worried. Concerned. Perhaps even frightened.

Winnie tried not to smirk under her veil, thinking her point of view on how this reunion may go would end up being right.

That love would take precedence over leverage.

But the smirk stayed put as she remembered that love didn't triumph in her case.

So what did she really know?

"They have mediks. We'll wait to make sure he's alone", Kaz replied.

Winnie could still sense an impatient, nervous energy continuing to radiate off Nina as another fight took place.

Waiting and waiting until they could make their move.

Until Kaz gave them the next order.

Which eventually arrived.

"Ready, Nina? The guard first."

Everyone redirected their glance to a prison guard stood by the archway they had entered through.

"How down?" Nina asked, wondering just how much damage she was supposed to cause.

"Shut eye", Kaz answered, letting her know he wanted the guard down but not actually hurt.

Made sense why he had opted to choose Nina to be the Grisha to achieve this task.

Winnie's methods of knocking someone out were much more violent and uncontrolled than those of a heartrender.

They involved pain and struggle.

Something they didn't have time for, and couldn't draw attention towards.

So Winnie took a step back, allowing the plan to begin working again, as the group of four walked back the way they had come in.

"Need your escort?" the guard asked as they approached him.