Chapter 42

My mother was sitting at the dining table, wearing a thin trench coat. She looked like someone who had just come into the house. I was so surprised that I stammered.

"Why did you come here all of a sudden...?"

"Have I come to a place I shouldn't be?"

"No, that's not it."

I first looked for Do-yoon. Do-yoon was sitting across from my mother, and he glanced at me once, then lowered his gaze with a face that was very timid, unlike in the morning. It was exactly the same expression I had when I first saw Do-yoon on my grandfather's birthday.

It seemed as if nothing had been said between the two, or that something had been said that was better left unsaid. I unconsciously clenched my fists.

Meanwhile, in front of my mother, there was a bowl of rice with steam rising from it, along with various side dishes such as freshly roasted seaweed, seasoned vegetables, and crunchy kimchi, along with the delicious grilled croaker that Do-yoon had said he would make for me. Anyone who saw it could tell that the rice had not been cooked for long. I spoke awkwardly.

"I thought you might have been waiting a long time since you came without any notice."

"It hasn't been that long since you came. I knew what time you get off work."

"... I see. That's fortunate."

I quickly took off my coat and sat down next to Do-yoon in an attempt to somehow change the mood. However, my mother motioned for me not to sit down. Instead, she stood up from her seat.

"Seunghyun, you don't need to take off your clothes. Let's go out for a bit."

"Yes?"

"Let's go out and eat."

My eyes widened. Now, anyone could see that Do-yoon had just made dinner, and when his mother came, he had prepared her share as well, but she was clearly rejecting Do-yoon's sincerity. Mrs. Shin stood up without even touching her glass of water.

I looked at Do-yoon reflexively and he was sitting there with his mouth shut and his eyes downcast like a doll. Seeing him act like a criminal even though he had done nothing wrong made me feel sad and something welled up in my heart.

"You can eat here. The food is just cooked, so it looks delicious."

Then my mother looked at me for a moment and then suddenly spoke to Do-yoon.

"Really? Then do you want to go out? I need to talk to my son alone."

"Mother!"

I shouted at Mrs. Shin. Then I saw Do-yoon standing up from his seat in a hurry.

"I, I'm fine. You two, go ahead and talk."

I grabbed Do-yoon's arm tightly and made him sit back down.

"Okay, where are you going? Eat first. I'll be right back."

Then Do-yoon looked up at me while sitting down. He tried to keep his expressionless face, but I saw Do-yoon's hazel eyes shaking wildly. It was a face that looked like it would burst into tears at any moment. I spoke to my mother with a cold face.

"Let's go out."

Mrs. Shin Mi-seon glanced at me and then walked straight out the front door. I tried to say something to Do-yoon, but ended up saying nothing. I just grabbed his shoulder tightly, let go, and followed my mother out.

My mind was in a mess. I took my mother to a nearby cafe. I felt like I would get sick if I ate in this situation. I said as soon as I sat down.

"Do you really have to do that to a child?"