Chapter 15 - The kidnapping.

The rain was falling thickly, and the darkness was almost total, but not for Taylor with his keen vision. His dark skin blended perfectly with the dark environment, which gave him a great advantage on this type of mission.

He leaned against the outer wall of the city of Kais, capital of Gulan, the kingdom of seafarers. Three weeks had passed since the visit they paid to patient zero in the company of Gredenko. During this period, other foci of the spread of that strange disease had been found and promptly exterminated by Pallas' military.

Despite the urgency, everyone involved knew that a mission like that had to have prior planning, after all there was a lot involved.

If it was proven that Gulan was responsible for the spread of the disease, the council of Marshals would have what they needed to demand intervention from the city council in the antagonistic kingdom.

Even if Gulan proved his innocence, Pallas could raise doubts about the consequences of the trips made by the antagonist kingdom around the world.

If the city council imposed restrictions on sea travel, Gulan's trade would be severely damaged, which would end up weakening the city.

The rulers of Pallas had long known that they had to find a way to defeat Gulan, which had been, since the destruction of Light centuries ago, the greatest enemy the military city had known.

Although he was aware of power dynamics and their importance, that was not what motivated Taylor, all he wanted was to find the source of that terrible disease and ensure that it was eradicated from the planet.

The simple memory of what had happened to that unfortunate man stole his sleep, imagining that that could happen to the people he loved or to himself was inconceivable for the young soldier.

After finding a perfect strategy for the situation and ensuring that they had all the information necessary for its correct execution, Taylor and his friends left for Gulan.

It was not difficult to penetrate the southern border disguised as traders coming from Tarell. Entering Kais, however, would be much more complicated.

The capital of the seafaring kingdom was a walled fortress protected by a horde of snipers who watched the horizon from the top of their strategically placed towers.

Few cities could boast of offering resistance to Pallas's army, Kais was one of them. Leaning against the Fortress wall, Taylor cautiously waited for the soldier who made his rounds every hour.

In a quick movement, he threw himself out of the shadows at the unfortunate man, cutting his neck with a knife and pulling him behind one of the columns. There, hidden in the shadows, he held the soldier's mouth tightly as he lay in agony.

Taylor had already calculated the response time and the interval until they noticed the dead patrolman's absence. He thought about undressing him to wear a uniform in some emergency, but his clothes were stained with blood.

"Damn, I doubted that Jack would make such an amateur mistake. How stupid I am!", thought Taylor, taking a deep breath, calmly... he said to himself counting to five, then, calmly, he asked himself "What would Jack do? "

He leaned against the wall, remembering his plans, after crossing the wall he should enter the main castle through the kitchen, pretending to be a food delivery man, there he should look for a man named Josias.

This man was the head of the delivery department and was also a spy for Pallas who had infiltrated there for several years.

Arriving at Josiah, he would provide him with everything he needed to reach his target.