20 | Saint

"Where are you taking me?"

"No spoilers."

Saint had Cerise on speakerphone as he cleaned the bathroom counter, sweeping short snippets of hair onto the floor. He heard a popping noise from the other line and he wished he could see what she was up to.

But Cerise was adamant about not starting a video call. She had said something about how he wasn't supposed to see her before the date.

"Ugh, what the hell?" her frustrated voice sounded from the other side of the call.

He quirked an eyebrow as he brought the phone along to grab the broom from the closet.

"These cheap behind elastics keep breaking," she huffed, and he smiled at her complaining.

"Your hair is just thick, Cher."

"I know!" she whined, and he could practically see her lip wobbling as she grew frustrated.

Snap.

"Ugh!"

Saint swept his hair from the floor and dumped it in the bin while listening to the series of shuffling coming from the other line. It went on for a few seconds before he heard a soft thud and then silence.

"You good?"

Her voice was muffled, "Yeah. No. I don't know."

There was more shuffling before he heard her speak again, this time more clearly.

"My arms hurt and my hair isn't cooperating. I'm about two rubber bands away from a mental breakdown. I haven't even thought about makeup yet. Plus, I don't know what to wear!"

"Relax, it's just me," he tried to soothe her.

"That's the problem," Cerise whined more.

Saint's lip downturned, and he ran a hand through his freshly cut hair as he considered her words, "Are you having second thoughts?"

"No! That's not what I mean!" she backtracked right away,  "You just make me incredibly nervous. And I want everything to go well..."

"I'm nervous too," he admitted to her.

And it was the truth. He's been checking the time every 10 minutes, and his hands have been trembling every time he does anything related to the preparation of their date.

"You don't sound very nervous."

"I've been avoiding holding my phone for too long 'cause I might drop it. J'ai failli me faire une calvitie tout à l'heure. My hands are shaking so badly."

[Almost gave myself a bald spot earlier]

"That makes me feel a bit better."

"Good," he hummed while rechecking the clock, "You have time, why not call your friends over to help you?"

A soft gasp was heard followed by fast tapping, "Why didn't I think of that? They might be busy though."

His phone buzzed on the countertop, and he peeked at the notification to see that his order was ready to be picked up.

"That was quick," Cerise muttered, "Okay, help is on the way. That just leaves one thing..."

"What's that?" Saint asked with a tilted head even though she couldn't see him.

"Where are we going? I don't want to underdress," she tried to fish for information again.

"Alright, you get two hints. You ready?"

"Hints?" she repeated with a tone that indicated she hoped he was joking.

"Take it or leave it."