X L I V

OBERON WAS many things. A guard. A best friend. The comedic relief in nearly every situation, when it called for it.

A backstabber was not one of those things. And so when he stood, face to face with Prince Erowillric, he pushed every single romantic thought out of his head. So what if Erowillric made his chest feel tight, and his stomach dip, and his head feel foggy. So what if Erowillric made Oberon itch to lean close and feel the Prince's wings under his careful fingertips?

Oberon had only ever been in love with one other person, and it was Sir Nohx. Oberon had spent years, years, in love with his best friend. He had always known too that Nohx would never return the feelings, no matter how often Oberon prayed to the Prophet or Cornomous. No matter how often little Oberon had laid up late at night, crying and hoping that his best friend would come around.

But this was different. This wasn't like the hookups Oberon had had in the human realm, quick and emotionless in hidden places. Nor was it like the secret and stolen moments Oberon had when he was in training to be a Royal Guard.

No, the way Prince Erowillric looked at Oberon had his heart stumbling and then beating double time. It had his palms sweaty and disappointment thick in his throat. Because he wasn't a backstabber.

Andorra came first. Anltihamy came first.

"Well? Is everything okay?" Ero's voice was a tad nervous. He tried to lean around Oberon, but Oberon shifted to block the doorway to the empty cell. This was his job, but he wasn't sure how to go about letting the Prince down.

"Queen Andorra really did want to be your ally, but you have to understand, the Asrai didn't belong here."

Panic crossed Ero's face. He and Oberon were nearly the same height, but Ero had large wings that seemed to take up so much space. When Ero's wings flared out, Oberon felt a visceral reaction: he wanted to take a step back.

He refused. He was a Royal Guard, after all.

"She took the Asrai. How?" Ero was coming to terms with the truth, but unlike Nohx, Ero didn't bother hiding the emotion that crossed his mind. Oberon could see him digest this information and what it meant for all of them.

"Andorra can create gates."

"My father is going to kill us all." It was a weak comment as Ero tried to map out the different outcomes in his head. There was no universe in which King Kaeberon would not kill the three of them for this. Erowillric included. Then, Ero seemed to shake off the thought. "She left you behind?"

Oberon cleared his throat. Rolled his shoulders. "I gave you an hour of my time. Andorra will be back to collect me then."

Ero's eyes roved over Oberon's face, trying to read what was and wasn't there. What Oberon was saying, and what he wasn't. "Why?"

"Because we aren't liars in Anlithamy. Andorra and I traded my time for the chance to see the Asrai. And I am delivering on that exchange. Even if Andorra wanted me to go with her, I would have stayed behind to finish our bargain."

"Come, then. We shall talk in my room, not here. There are too many ears down here." Ero spun on his heel and Oberon had no choice but to follow wordlessly. Unease settled in his gut, but he was Andorra's head guard for a reason. He could handle anything that the King and Prince of Averotho threw his way. If Ero was about to lead him to the King, so be it.

Oberon would fight. And if he died, he would die protecting Anlithamy.

He didn't have to worry about that. Ero led him right back to his bedroom, and then continued back through the closet. With so much at stake, and with how secretive Averotho was, Oberon was beginning to understand why Ero needed a private, secret space where no one could listen in.