X X X V I I I

SHE COULDN'T SLEEP.

It was unsurprising, considering how her initial meeting with the King of Averotho went. A joke, she said to herself. He thinks you're a joke.

The King hadn't taken her seriously in any regard. Everything he had said had been a biting comment about Anlithamy, about her parents, about everything. It was quite obvious he found Anlithamy to be an annoying mosquito he had to swat away every once and a while. He didn't see Anlithamy as a threat at all.

But, Andorra wasn't stupid; she knew they could use that to their advantage. If the King didn't fear them, it meant that he wasn't in any sort of rush to bring war to their shores. Why would he, unless he wanted the land for himself?

Would he want their land? Would he bring war to their shores for nothing more than to be the king of both continents?

Andorra shifted uncomfortably. She had to convince him that they were better off as allies than enemies.

Oberon was sleeping in the same room in his own bed. At first, the King had led them to separate rooms, but both Andorra and Oberon knew better than to be away from each other when they were most vulnerable in their slumber. Instead, they both slept on twin beds in one space, but whatever kept Andorra awake did not do the same to Oberon. His soft snores filled the room, and when Andorra looked over at him, he was sprawled out across the small bed, limbs spilling over the edges.

A soft knock echoed through the room, and Andorra's head whipped to the door, heart in her throat. She tensed, ready to fight anyone who would try to enter her bedchamber, but then there was a whisper: "It's me."

Andorra didn't really think about it as she rolled herself off of the bed, tiptoed to the door, and eased it open an inch. Ero blinked back at her in the open space. Before she could ask what he wanted, Ero gripped the door and opened it the rest of the way.

"You can't sleep either, huh?" He looked past Andorra into her room, eyeing Oberon. "I figured you'd have questions for tomorrow."

Andorra tipped her chin up, trying to resemble somewhat of a Queen. "And you're going to answer those questions?"

"Can I show you something?"

Andorra hesitated for only a moment before she turned back to Oberon. She shook him awake, and when his eyes popped open, he sat up with an alarmed expression. "What is it? What's wrong?" He cut his head to the open door, his expression turning into a slight scowl. "What is he doing here?"

"Ero has something to show us. Are you going to put on pants and come with, or stay here sleeping?" The attitude wasn't necessary, but with the way Oberon was glaring at Ero, Andorra was beginning to think there would be no leaving this room if Oberon had a say.

He was morphing into Callum, and Andorra wanted to know why.

"I'm coming, relax." Oberon got dressed and then followed her and Ero down the hallway. The castle was like and unlike hers on the inside. She should have been surprised to see all of the guards standing at every corner, but she was beginning to realize just how foolish she was for not having so many guards back home.

They walked in silence, all the way until they came upon a door with a guard standing out front. When the guard saw Ero, he bowed, but eyed Andorra and Oberon with such animosity, Andorra wondered just what Anlithamy had done to them to cause that look. Averotho had been painted an enemy every time she spoke about it back home, but that look alone had her second guessing.

Had Anlithamy been the enemy? The bad guy? The one at fault?

"Hi, Honouise. May we enter the library, or is it too late for any shenanigans?" Ero was grinning ear to ear at the guard, and the friendly, teasing tone in his voice had Andorra leaning closer. As much as she didn't trust Ero, he was different here. A prince. A man who was well known and respected.