FLATLINE - PART THREE

When the alarm went off Viv moved the way she always did. That alarm meant all hands on deck so she ran as fast as she possibly could towards the sound. Working within the emergency department was frantic at the best of times so everyone was always ready to run.

When she entered the room there was so much commotion she didn't initially notice who they were working on. She was awaiting further instruction when she looked down and realised. In that moment the world around her stopped for several seconds as she tried to comprehend what she was seeing.

Her heart started to pound and her palms became sweaty as she stared. All she wanted to do was cry but she knew that wasn't appropriate, she needed to do her job. Her personal life and her feelings were irrelevant, no matter how much this was hurting her.

The beeping of the machines was echoing inside her head and she felt like her brain was going to explode. Viv had always wanted to be a nurse, she wanted to help people and she'd always cared for everyone. That aspect of her personality usually got her into trouble, she was relentless when trying to save others. It had certainly caused the situation she was now facing.

Nobody had prepared her for this.

It had never occurred to her that one day, she'd encounter someone that she simply didn't want to save.

As she watched her colleagues desperately trying to save the life of the man who had abused, humiliated and destroyed her friend, she felt sick. Siobhan's descriptions of his horrific abuse were all she could think of as she assisted in attempting to restart his evil heart.

For the first time in her life, she wondered if she had the capacity for evil.

Every time the doctor shocked Roger's body, just one word flashed through her mind.

DIE