Coronation street, Carla and DS Lisa Swain32, 38 and 48

Carla Connor adjusted the fake engagement ring on her finger, glancing across the hotel lobby at DS Lisa Swain. They were undercover, posing as a couple to infiltrate a suspected criminal gathering. Carla had played many roles in her life, but this one felt oddly exhilarating.

Lisa, with her sharp eyes and no-nonsense demeanor, had been Carla's partner on the force for months. Their camaraderie was undeniable, and Carla secretly admired Lisa's dedication. But now, pretending to be in love? That was uncharted territory.

The hotel's Christmas decorations hung from the ceiling, and a sprig of mistletoe dangled near the grand staircase. Carla's heart raced as she imagined what might happen if they ended up beneath it. She'd heard the old legend—kiss under the mistletoe, and love would bloom.

"Carla," Lisa's voice interrupted her thoughts. "We need to stick close tonight. Keep our cover intact."

Carla nodded, her pulse quickening. They mingled with the crowd, exchanging whispered conversations about nonexistent wedding plans. Lisa's hand brushed against hers, and Carla's skin tingled. Was it just the adrenaline, or was there something more?

As the night wore on, they danced—graceful steps, bodies close. Lisa's eyes softened, and Carla wondered if she saw the same vulnerability in her own gaze. The mistletoe loomed above them, a silent invitation.

"Carla," Lisa said, her voice low. "I know this is all pretend, but—"

Carla leaned in, her lips brushing against Lisa's. It was a gentle kiss, tentative yet full of promise. Lisa's fingers tangled in Carla's hair, pulling her closer. The world faded away, leaving only the warmth of Lisa's mouth against hers.

When they finally broke apart, Lisa's cheeks were flushed. "Wow," she whispered.

Carla grinned. "Guess the mistletoe works."

Lisa's expression softened. "Carla, I've admired you for a long time. Your strength, your resilience. Maybe this isn't just pretend."

Carla's heart swelled. "Lisa, I—"

But Lisa silenced her with another kiss, deeper this time. The room spun, and Carla lost herself in the taste of mint and desire. They were no longer detectives; they were two women falling—falling in love.

Later, as they lay side by side, fingers entwined, Carla traced the outline of Lisa's lips. "What happens when the case is over?"

Lisa smiled. "Maybe we keep pretending. Just for us."

And so, beneath the mistletoe's watchful leaves, Carla and Lisa discovered that sometimes, the best stories were the ones they wrote together.