Chapter 17 - Ethan

I cry in Daniels arms. He holds me tightly. Taylor, where are you..? I wonder. I sigh shakily. Daniel pulls me back, and looks at me. "You look like you need you yourself a coffee." He says. I smile slightly. "You know I prefer chocolate milk." I say. He smiles too. "Sorry, guess my mind is so clouded that I forgot.." He explains. I nod, knowing exactly how he feels.
He gets up, then helps me up. "Wanna go to a café?"
"Sure, I'd like that."

Once we're at the café, I order a chocolate milk, and a donut. Daniel just gets a hot coffee.
I sigh. "Daniel, can't we help them?"
"No, Ethan. You they're specialists, and they've known Taylor way longer than we have."
"But-"
"Ethan."
I sigh. Damnit. But- I can't just sit back and relax! I get an idea. I pretend to check my phone. I frown. "I gotta go, D. My mom wants me." I explain, standing up.
Daniel frowns, too. "Aw. Bye, Ethan!" He waves, as I leave. I go the direction of my house, but when I turn the corner, I go right instead of left, and go behind the café, straight to Taylors moms place. My mind is racing.

When I get there, her mom is outside. Weird. She's never outside. I greet her. She looks up at me. "Ethan."
"Hi, Taylors mo-"
"Sit down. Where Daniel?"
I sit. "Daniel's.. He didn't want me coming here." I mumble. Taylor's mom doesn't react to that. Her eyes are dead, her face is straight. I frown. She then goes on to tell me a story.
"You know, back when Taylor first got her fantastic, no pay job, she had one friend.  Penelope June."
"Wait, Ju-"
"Penelope was a nice girl, but, eventually.. She just- abandoned Taylor. But.. It was only after Taylor told her everything." She pauses. I open my mouth to talk, but she interrupts me. "That's why she doesn't like making new friends." She finishes. I finally speak. "Penelope.. June?" I ask. "Yes. Her mother is a forensic scientist. So, she knew science, but, after she knew hacking.. She ran away. Told her mom she was a fool, and that she would conquer the world."
I'm silent. "Right. So, are you saying..?" I trail off.
"Yes." Her mom says. "Penelope took her, I just know it!" She growls. I jump back. "Well- what are you going to do about it?" I ask. Miss Smith is standing now. I stand too. She storms inside. "I'm going back." She says, determined.
"What? Really? Taylor said-"
"I don't care what Taylor said, I'm going back." She says, opening a briefcase. It's full of USB cords, lock picks, rubber duckies?
"Right.. Sorry miss."

"So, what are we going to do?" I ask. Miss Smith is walking out the door, and I'm on her heels.
"We are not doing anything. You're a child."
"I-"
"So you will sit back, relax, and let the adults handle it."
"Hey! I turn eighteen soon!"
"Ethan."
I stop, and sigh. Nobody wants me to do anything.. I think. Nobody- nobody wants me..
I shed a tear, and start walking away. I hear Miss Smith's car start up, as she drives away.