Chapter Sixteen - The Trials

After his conversation with King Bumi, Jolee was escorted back to the cell where Aang and the others were being held. Hours later, Jolee along with Katara and Sokka were taken to the throne room. As Katara and Sokka began to feel a sense of panic, Jolee remained calm. Moments later, Aang was brought to the throne room. 

Bumi: First, Avatar, what do you think of my new outfit? I want your honest opinion.

Aang paused as he tried to think of an answer. While he didn't want to anger the King, Aang also didn't want to lie. 

Aang: I ... guess it's fine.

Bumi: Excellent! You passed the first test.

Aang: Really?

Bumi: Well, not one of the deadly tests. The real challenges are much more, uh, challenging.

Without hesitation, Aang uses his Airbending to speed past the guards and closes the distance on Bumi. 

Aang: I don't have time for your crazy games! Give me my friends back! We're leaving!

Bumi: Oh, I thought you might refuse, so I will give your friends some special souvenirs.

As Bumi said this, the guards slide green rings into the fingers of Jolee, Katara and Sokka. Katara and Sokka try to pull the rings off, but Jolee calms them down.

Bumi: Those delightful rings are made of pure Jennamite, also known as creeping crystal. It's a crystal that grows remarkably fast. By nightfall your friends will be completely covered in it. Terrible thing, really. I can stop it, but only if you cooperate.

As Bumi said this, the Jennamite Rings began to expand onto Katara's hand. The same happens to Jolee and Sokka. At this point, Aang had no choice but to follow through with Bumi's challenge. The first challenge had Aang retrieve a "lunchbox" key hanging from a chain within a powerful, cascading waterfall. As Aang managed to complete the first challenge, the Jennamite begins to grow onto Katara's and Sokka's arms. Jolee's however grew much slower. 

Katara: How...how are you doing this?

Jolee: Meditation goes a long way. 

Sokka: How can you be calm at a time like this?! We're gonna....

Jolee: Relax.....

Jolee uses the Force to calm Sokka down. Instead, this put him in a momentary trance. 

Jolee: Hhm...guess I overdid it. 

The next challenge Aang faced was returning the king's lost pet Flopsie. At first, Aang believed Flopsie to be a small bunny. Instead, the bunny was merely bait for a Goat Gorilla. Luckily, the Goat Gorilla was docile and Aang was able to bring Flopsie over to Bumi who began to pet it. Aang turns to Jolee, Katara and Sokka. While Katara and Sokka encased in crystal to their shoulders, Jolee merely had his arm covered in crystal. 

Aang: Guys, are you okay?

Katara: Other than the crystals slowly encasing my entire body, doing great!

At that moment, a crystal grows on one side of Sokka's body, making him become unbalanced and fall. Jolee sighs. 

Jolee: Don't worry about us, Aang. Focus on the trials. 

With that, Aang was faced with his final trial. He was to face an opponent of his choosing to a duel. Aang quickly chose Bumi. Katara and Sokka breathed a sigh of relief, believing Bumi to be a feeble old man. However, Bumi quickly proved to be an Earthbending prodigy. Despite this, Aang fought both bravely and cleverly. Soon enough after a hard fought fight, Bumi surrendered. At this point, Katara and Sokka were nearly completely encased in crystal. 

Bumi: Well done, Avatar. You fight with much fire in your heart. You've passed all my tests. Now, you must answer one question.

Aang: That's not fair! You said you would release my friends if I finished your tests.

Bumi: Oh, but what's the point of tests if you don't learn anything?

Sokka: Oh come on! 

Jolee: Sokka! 

Bumi: Answer this one question and I will set your friends free. What ... is my name? From the looks of your friends I'd say you only have a few minutes.

Aang walks over to Jolee, Katara and Sokka. 

Aang: How am I supposed to know his name?

Katara: Think about the challenges. Maybe it's some kind of riddle.

Jolee: It's clear the King gave you these specific challenges for a reason. Look within yourself and the answer is there. 

Aang then walks over to Bumi.

Aang: I solved the question the same way I solved the challenges. As you said a long time ago, I had to open my brain to the possibilities. Bumi, you're a mad genius.

Bumi laughs heartily at Aang's answer. 

Bumi: Oh Aang, it's good to see you. You haven't changed a bit. Literally.

Katara: Uh, over here!

Sokka: A little help?

As Sokka said that, Jolee used the Force to activate his Lightsaber and freed himself. He then cuts Katara and Sokka free. 

Sokka: Wait a minute! You could've done that all this time?!

Jolee: None of you were in any danger. 

Katara: So this crazy king is your old friend Bumi?

Sokka: Why did you do all of this instead of just telling Aang who you were?

Bumi: First of all, it's pretty fun messing with people. But I do have a reason. Aang, you have a difficult task ahead. The world has changed in the hundred years that you've been gone. It's the duty of the Avatar to restore balance to the world by defeating Fire Lord Ozai. You have much to learn. You must master the four elements and confront the Fire Lord. And when you do, I hope you will think like a mad genius. And it looks like you're in good hands. You'll need your friends to help you defeat the Fire Nation. And you'll need Momo, too.

Aang: Thank you for your wisdom, but before we leave, I have a challenge for you.

Some time later, Aang and Bumi were seen riding down the mail system. Jolee along with Katara and Sokka watch from the streets. 

Katara: Did you know the entire time?

Jolee: I did. We had a conversation before the trials. 

Katara: Why didn't you tell us?

Jolee: The road ahead won't be easy. To endure this road, one must remain true to themselves. 

Katara took a moment to ponder Jolee's words. For now, they would remain at Omashu until they were ready to continue their journey.