Chapter Fifteen - A Conversation With The King

As everyone rested in their cells, Jolee was the first to wake up. Jolee calmly sat down and began meditating on the Force. While Jolee was meditating, a guard approached his cell.

Omashu Guard: The King wishes to speak with you.

Jolee: I believe the Avatar is still asleep.

Omashu Guard: I wasn't referring to the Avatar. I was referring to you.

Jolee: Oh?

Without hesitation, Jolee gets up and follows the guard while Aang and the others remained asleep in their cell. The guards escorted Jolee to the throne room where King Bumi was wearing a brightly colored purple outfit. Jolee gives a courtesy bow to the king.

Jolee: Your Highness.

Bumi: Tell me, what do you think of my new outfit? I want your honest opinion.

Jolee: My honest opinion, you say? Well the outfit itself is fine, but the colors are....a little garish to me. I would've preferred a more refined green. Maybe blue if you want something bright.

As Jolee said this, there was a moment of silence before Bumi begins to laugh heartily.

Bumi: Oh I like you, old timer! I never did get your name.

Jolee: Jolee. Jolee Bindo.

Bumi: A pleasure to meet you, Jolee. Now you're probably wondering why I summoned you here instead of the Avatar. Well....

Jolee: I would assume that there was more to you than you let out.

Bumi: And how did you come to that conclusion?

Jolee: I've only been travelling around with the Avatar for a few weeks, but I know the kind of reaction people have when they find out the Avatar is in their midst. Aang was treated like a celebrity on the last place we visited. You however are more....casual with the Avatar. And considering Aang's...unusual circumstances, I'd say you...knew Aang.

Bumi was impressed by Jolee's deduction. Despite appearing as a harmless old man, Jolee proved to be otherwise to the king.

Bumi: You're very perceptive, Jolee Bindo. Since you were honest with me, I'll be honest with you. I knew the Avatar. He used to come by to Omashu and we'd slide down the Omashu delivery system.

Jolee: So that would make you Bumi. I believe Aang mentioned your name once or twice.

Bumi: Getting old is a funny thing.

Jolee: Don't remind me. I get far too many reminders that I'm an old coot. And I'm sure I'll get even more reminders as for the rest of my travels.

Bumi: And with the world the way it is, having fun can take your mind off things.

As Bumi says this, Jolee couldn't help but respect Bumi's intentions. He could tell that the duties that were passed onto Aang was a heavy burden. It reminded him of what Revan had to bear with during the mission to defeat Darth Malak.

Jolee: I suppose. Based on what I know about the Avatar, it's quite the burden to bear.

Bumi: And with him being the last Airbender, I can't imagine what Aang must be feeling.

Jolee: Which leads into my next question. Why lead Aang on? If you know about Aang, then we the act?

Bumi: Strength and Bending alone won't save the world. He'll need his wits. And my challenges should help my old friend in that regard.

Upon hearing this, Jolee took a moment to process the king's plan. It was clear to Jolee that Bumi put a lot of thought into this test for Aang. While Jolee was a stranger to this world, the Jedi was able to understand what Bumi was trying to accomplish.

Jolee: So will Katara and Sokka be joining him?

Bumi: I have a feeling Aang will be a hurry to go on his way. And while I understand his urgency, these trials are needed. So I'm going to need you to play along.

Jolee: Oh?

Bumi: I'm going to have you and those two whippersnappers encased in Jennamite.

Jolee: Will they be in any danger?

Bumi: Semi dangerous. They grow fast when it comes into contact with skin. So Aang will need to complete these tasks with haste.

Jolee was hesitant about this. He didn't like Katara and Sokka being put in danger. However, he chose to go along with it.

Jolee: I don't exactly like this, but I'll go along with it. But if I feel that Katara and Sokka are in immediate danger, then I will have to intervene.

Bumi: I understand.

At this point, Jolee was actually quite curious about Bumi had in mind. However, he trusted Bumi even if he found the kind to be quite eccentric.

Jolee: Very well. I'll play along with your plan.

Bumi: Excellent! There is but one thing I must ask of you before we get those two whippersnappers.

Jolee: And that would be?

Bumi: I've met quite a few people in my life, but none were quite like you.

Jolee chuckled in response to Bumi's statement.

Jolee: I've been getting that a lot recently. Well I suppose since we're being honest with each other, I'm what you would call a traveler from world far far away.

Bumi: And what brings you far from home, Jolee?

Jolee: I guess I'm needed here. To guide the Avatar on his journey to bring balance to the world.

With that, Jolee chose to play along with King Bumi's plan. The guards would soon restrain him to keep up appearances as Katara and Sokka were brought to the throne room. While Katara and Sokka struggled to free themselves, Jolee showed no resistance as the three were given Jennamite. Jolee would put his trust in the Force.