Chapter One

It was December. One of those seasons I hated but also loved. Sledding, hot chocolate, building snowmen, I enjoyed all of it.
The worst part about winter weather and it being cold all the time was wondering where I could possibly slip my insulin pump into during my activities, and trying to keep it out of sight from those around me. 

I'm Leah. Your average fifteen year old girl. Actually, not really.

"Leah Elizabeth, I know it is cold outside and the weather is getting you down but, gosh your blood sugars have been quite high lately. You haven't been doing much exercising!" My mother spoke from our outdated kitchen.

"That's not the reason my blood sugars are high Mom. I bolused wrong for the donut and hot chocolate I had this morning,"

My mom walked over to the couch I had been laying on all morning. She sat down by my feet and took my hand in hers.

"Leah, call up your friends, get out of the house and do something!" She said sternly.

"Kenzie is in Florida, Taylor is snowed in for the next three days and,"

"Leah,"

She knew I was trying to make up more excuses. I looked her in the eye.

"What about that boy you like? What was his name? Carl?" My mom asked.

"It's Kyle mom, and you never let me hangout with him, alone at least."

"Well I'm just worried you're growing up too fast, Honey. Get dressed, text him and tell him you want to hang out. I'm tired of seeing you sitting on this couch doing nothing but being unhappy and grouchy."

I slowly propped myself onto my left arm. I guess I have to get up now.
I walked to my bedroom and shut the door. I didn't feel like showering so I just got dressed in jeans and a chunky knit sweater, sprayed some perfume, clipped my pump to the pocket of my jeans and I was ready to go.
I reached for my phone which was resting on its charger. I tapped into Kyle's name and began typing a message.

Leah; Hey you there?

...
Kyle; Yeah what's up
...
Leah; Wanna hang out? My mom is making me get out of the house
...
Kyle; sure come over here :)

Kyle and I were very close, and we had always thought of hanging out alone but my parents were always hesitant and that annoyed the shit out of me. I loved school with him, having him in my classes. 
There. I walked into the entry way of our old little home. I grabbed my beanie off the stair banister and smiled at my mom.

"Sweetie you look great. How could anyone not like those beautiful blonde curls?" She gushed.

I hated my hair. It was long and blonde and curly. Of course I have my annoying friend Kenzie who thinks she's all that, just  because she thinks she has the worst hair and it takes forever to manage in the morning. At least that's what she says.
I pulled on my winter jacket and I was ready.

"Do you want a ride Hun? It's really cold out there today" Mom asked.

"I can drive you over Sweetie," Dad spoke from the dinner table.

"Mom, Dad, just no. I'll walk,"

I liked being alone with my own thoughts. The thought of hanging out with the boy that I really, really, liked was spinning throughout my head like a top.