21.

“What about enrolling in a cooking class?” Abhishek suggested as he grabbed his hot chocolate, taking a sip and then holding the cup close for the extra warmth. 

“No, we can do that anytime of the year.” Ishan shook his head, deep in thoughts. “For the new year, we should do something special, something different.” 

“Let's go camping for some time.” Shubman put out his suggestion. 

“No, we went on one with the college already this year.” Mayank muttered, rubbing his hands together to keep them warm. 

The cafe was filled with people, warm sounds of chatting and the delicious smell of different beverages and sweet treats flowing around the space, warming the hearts and watering the mouth. The four of them were sitting on the table beside the window. From the window, they could see people outside walking back home from work, some walking their dogs, some, especially students, coming in and walking out of the cafe. It was like a normal December evening, with cold breeze and dark clouds to make the environment even more chilly. 

“So, what are we doing, then?” Abhishek asked, racking his brain for more ideas.

“Let's go to a haunted house.” Mayank suggested excitedly, feeling proud of his idea. 

“Where?” Ishan chuckled. “Your house?” 

Mayank shot him a blank look.

“What? Dude, your apartment is no less than a haunted house.” Ishan shrugged, now trying to control his laugh. 

“Honestly, I would have to agree.” Abhishek chuckled. 

“Me too.” Shubman chimed in. 

“Shut up, all of you.” Mayank rolled his eyes. “Abhi and I had seen an abandoned, haunted type of castle when we went on that camping trip.” 

“Oh, yeah, I remember.” Abhishek mumbled. They had come across that castle when they sneaked away from the other students. It was huge and more than scary, it looked enchanting. 

“Let's go there.” Mayank said. 

“So, we're planning to die at the start of the year, huh." Abhishek snickered, shaking his head. 

“Seems like it.” Ishan chuckled. 

“I think it'll be fun.” Shubman smiled. “Let's just go.” 

“See, that's what I'm saying." Mayank grinned. "That's like my boy.” He beamed, clapping Shubman on the back. 

Ishan rolled his eyes, pulling Shubman a bit closer to himself."My boy, not yours.” 

“Shut up, you jealous bitch.” Mayank huffed, wrapping an arm around Abhishek. “I have my Abhi, I don't need him anyway.” 

Abhishek heaved a deep sigh, making a face at them, while Shubman just chuckled. 

Before they could continue their bickering, Abhishek cut them off. “Okay, both of you, stop being ridiculous. It's final, we're going to that haunted castle or whatever.”

“And just for the record, if I come across a ghost, I'll leave you all and run for my life.” Ishan added with a chuckle and all of them again got engaged in their bickering and banter. 

-

Shubman and Ishan walked hand in hand at the side walk, shivering a bit because of the cold weather but enjoying it nonetheless. 

“Ish, when we go back to that camping place, we should also visit that lake.” Shubman said as they walked towards his apartment. 

“Yeah, we should.” Ishan smiled softly. They had felt a strange connection to that place, like it was something really important and leaving that had somehow felt extremely saddening. The feeling of coming across that beautiful lake was comforting, liberating, something that made them feel more alive than ever. And what was more strange is that both of them felt those same emotions about that place.