Chapter 7: Cornfield, Merry & Pippin, first morph

In a cornfield, Frodo leads them through it. They're still in the Shire, so they should know this way. Sam falls behind as Peter and his friends stay by Frodo. As they walk, they hear Sam shouting behind. They all stop, and go back.

Sam: Mr. Frodo? Peter! Adam! 

They come into his sight, and he sighs. He walks to them.

Sam: I thought I'd lost you.

Frodo: What are you talking about?

Sam: It's just something Gandalf said.

Frodo: What did he say? 

Sam: "Don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to.

Peter: We know you don't mean to, Sam. Besides, we're watching him too. You shouldn't worry. I mean, look around.

Frodo: He's right, Sam. We're still in the Shire. What could possibly happen?

Just then, someone runs into Sam, and then another into Frodo. They all fall down. Peter and his friends see it's Merry and Pippin. And they've got crop in their hands and arms. They also see who they ran into. 

Pippin: Frodo. Merry, it's Frodo Baggins. 

Merry: (Gets up) Hello, Frodo. (Sees the boys) Oh. Hello, Peter. Hello to you all.

Riff: Hey, Merry, Pippin. 

Sam: (Grabs Merry, and pulls him off Frodo) Get off him. (Helps Frodo up) Come on, Frodo.

Frodo: (Looks at the crop) What's the meaning of this? 

Merry: (Picks up some, and gives them to Sam) Hold these.

Ron: Oh, no. Don't tell me...

Sam: (Looks at them) You've been into Farmer Maggot's crop! 

Mason: Not again.

Just then, they all hear dogs barking. They turn around, and see someone with a scythe coming their way. It's Farmer Maggot with his dogs, shouting. The boys grab the hobbits, and run off, wanting to get away from the angry farmer. Sam drops the crop when Riff grabbed him. They run through the field. 

Angel: You two stole from him again! Why do you always do that?

Merry: I don't know why he's so upset. It's only a couple of carrots. 

Pippin: And some cabbages, and those three bags of potatoes that we lifted last week, and then the mushrooms the week before. 

Merry: Yes, Pippin. My point is, he's clearly overracting. 

Mason: He's not overracting! He's angry, and wants to get you both back! 

Peter: Just run! 

They all continue running through the field until they come out of it. But they come a steep hill. They bump into each other, and they all fall down the hill. They all roll down the hill, yelling and grunting. They roll down for a few seconds until they reach the bottom, and they all land on the ground in a pile. They all groan and moan in pain. Pippin sees a small pile of gook in front of him, just inches away.

Pippin: Ooh, that was close. 

Merry: Oh, I think I've broken something. (Pulls out a carrot broken in half) 

Peter: (Groans) Is everyone okay?

Adam: Yeah. 

Riff: We're all okay.

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took...

Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.

Sam: A shortcut to what?