Chapter 33

He was distracted now. First with thoughts of Maddie and the fact that he'd said yes to her, and then the kisses they'd shared earlier. He probably could have had sex with her right then and there because he was fairly certain she wanted him just as much as he'd wanted her, but he hadn't wanted to push it too much with her. But they'd both been aroused. He had a feeling it wasn't going to be too much longer until they did fuck and he was down for it.

But he'd be lying if he said he wasn't nervous about having sex with her. He couldn't remember ever having sex except in his dreams. What if he disappointed her? He didn't know if she was a virgin or what. He really knew nothing about her.

John groaned to himself. His dick was completely hard now, and he'd been focusing way too much on Maddie, and her gorgeous body, her full tits, her perfect ass, and her beautiful smile.

He had to turn his thoughts away from all of that though. Away from her. He couldn't be wandering around the gym with his dark hard in his sweatpants. He snorted at that.

But still his workout had been rather pointless. His runaway thoughts had been on Maddie, and then he'd spent the rest of his time  watching the other guys fight more than he had doing anything useful. He kind of wanted to join them today. Apparently starting a relationship with Maddie was making him feel invincible. And probably stupid. Hopefully he didn't get his ass kicked if he did decide to join them.

His gaze traveled over the men Maddie had told him were werewolves. The men he worked with who danced, bartended and served at the saloon. They all looked normal to him. Like humans. But then Maddie seemed to think he was a werewolf as well, and he looked normal too. But he knew he wasn't.

"You alright, John?" Rhys approached him and asked.

John gave him a half smile. "Yeah all good." That meant Rhys was a werewolf too. John had briefly met him the other day, though he saw him talking to Maddie frequently. Annoyingly.

He frowned as he eyed the man. There was something weird about him. Like a pressure he could sort of feel. He wasn't sure what it was, but he could feel it pressing against him for a brief moment before it stopped. How odd.

"You want to spar with us today?" Rhys asked him.

John opened his mouth to say no, then changed his mind. He did want to. He was actually itching to. Why not give it a try? "Sure, why not."

Rhys gave him a big smile. "We'll go easy on you."

And I've studied you enough to know exactly what mistakes you're all making and what your weaknesses are.

But John only nodded and followed Rhys over to the ring. There were six other guys standing around, and four of them worked at the saloon. They were all eyeing him and he wondered what they were thinking. Probably that he'd be an easy target. His thoughts drifted to how quickly he'd healed before. He'd managed to smash his fingers and cut himself more than once when he'd been helping Paul. Those injuries had healed at a very rapid pace. It was the main reason he knew something was up with him. Well at least if he ended up injured here, he'd heal quickly.

He eyed the two guys he didn't know and wondered if they were werewolves as well. He still wasn't fully convinced he was one. After all, he didn't have a voice in his head. A wolf. How weird would that be, though frankly, at this point, it would be kind of nice to have some company. Maybe. He might have thought he was really losing his mind if he was constantly hearing voices in his head. But if also might have helped him get through the shit he'd had to deal with in captivity. That had been a very lonely time for him.

"John's going to join us. Don't go too hard on him. Maddie will kill us if he's not able to work tonight," Rhys said, glancing around at them all.

John almost snorted at that, but he reminded himself that these guys were seasoned at this and he wasn't. Or at least that he knew of. Maddie thought he was, but he really didn't know how much of it he'd actually remember. Hopefully he was able to hold his own.

"I'll spar against him," one of the guys he didn't know volunteered. He walked up to John. "I'm Kent."

John nodded to him and followed him into the ring. He'd watched them enough to know how this would play out, and he'd also picked up Kent's weaknesses. He already knew Kent would throw the first punch and would come out strong, and for a while, John played defense, staying out of the line of fire. He let Kent think that he had the upper hand and he took a few hits, grunting in response.

But after a bit, he decided to go on the offensive, and he went after Kent, and boy did it feel good. He shut his brain off and just went for it, until he finally took the other man down. He'd realized at one point that Kent was holding back until the man seemed to pick up on the fact that John didn't need him to. Kent had upped his game, but by then, it was too late.

Kent sat on the floor of the ring, staring up at John, a new look of respect on his face. "Where'd you learn to fight?"

John shrugged and just smiled at him, hoping the man wouldn't ask any more questions. He had no idea where he'd learned. But apparently he'd done it before. Maybe Maddie was right and he'd been a trainer or something. Who knew?

Kent shook his head as he got up and climbed out of the ring. "Rhys, you take him. And don't hold back," he said with a smile.

Rhys glanced up at John. "Can you go another round? If not, that's okay."

"I can go another round," John agreed. He was enjoying himself, and had barely broken a sweat.

Rhys was a more difficult opponent, and John realized he had been watching him through the first match and picked up on John's fighting style. The match with him lasted longer than the one with Kent, and Rhys was a more formidable opponent. John took several hard hits from Rhys, but he returned the favor, until he heard something crack, and Rhys groaned and stared at him in shock.

"Damn John. You hit hard," he grunted, pain evident in his face.

"He break your ribs?" someone asked.

"I don't know," he muttered. "Probably."

"Sorry," John said, feeling slightly sick. What had he done?

Rhys looked at him and shook his head. "It's fine," he grunted.

"There are always risks when we do this. We all know that, John. Rhys is just usually not on the receiving end. He's the strongest of us all," Kent said with a smirk, and patted John on the shoulder. "He'll be fine. Don't worry about it. He just underestimated you. We all did."

He could feel all of their eyes on him and wondered what they were thinking.

He knew they'd been paying attention to him since he'd come into the gym for the first time a few days ago. They were probably aware of how much he could lift. He wasn't weak; he just had no memory. Maybe this was what he had done for a job? He had no idea.

John glanced up at the time, and realized he needed to get out of the gym. Between his conversation with Maddie, and sparring with Kent and Rhys, it was getting late. He started earlier than the others did because he was bartending. They usually didn't start until seven though sometimes they showed up earlier.

"Thanks for letting me join you all. I'm going to head back. Gotta work soon," John told them, and left the gym, aware of their eyes on him. They probably weren't going to let him fight with them ever again. Oh well. It had been fun while it lasted. But he still felt bad about hurting Rhys.