fifteen

"I'm not ashamed, and I'm not sorry."

Jeremiah stood before Ivan's father as Tate held onto his bruised and aching arm. He could tell that there was a different way of behaving that has already overtaken Jeremiah's psyche.

He almost seemed disgusted to be so close to Tate who was once his friend. Ivan's father, however, already knew the situation without it being told to him. What else would Jeremiah be so mad for?

"What did you say?" Ivan's father asked first, causing Tate to sigh. "I know he wouldn't have retaliated in such a way, not that I'm saying the way he went about it was right either. I'm just trying to form a story of events."

"I told him what he needed to hear."

Jeremiah felt himself getting angry again, Ivan's father noticing such anger as he grins at Tate.

"And what was that?"

"The obvious stuff. What everyone is always saying, thinking, what they want to say but are too scared to say because of someone not being willing to listen." Tate hints, glancing over at Jeremiah who has yet to even look at him. "Jeremiah, I wasn't saying all of that to try and hurt Ivan. You can't...not think that Ivan doesn't already think those things of himself. If he's trying to change - if he actually even is, that means he's aware of how shit he was being. People don't try to change unless they know they've been doing something wrong. Did you ever think about that?"

Jeremiah remained silent, but he heard what he was saying.

Ivan was trying to change, but he didn't think he needed to. He got so used to how things were...and even if the way he was treating him was wrong, he didn't care.

The more others seemed to care, the less he cared. No one should be judging Ivan in his eyes, but the Luna.

And yet, he even wondered if he would be fine with that too...

"It is infuriating, you know." Jeremiah breathed, looking right at Ivan's father and soon at Tate. "What does what he did to me back then have to do with any of you? You care about me, maybe; but I care about someone else more than I do myself. I may be owed an apology, but I want it even less when others judge him and say what they think I need. You weren't there, you weren't with me when I was with him and he had his good moments, you don't get him like I do-."

"You sound like an abuse victim making excuses for their abuser." Tate interrupts calmly, and before Jeremiah could say something Ivan's father set his hand on the table.

Jeremiah looked at him, seeing the way he stared at him. Not even trying to hide the fact that he was put off by him defending the person he loved most.

Everyone sided with the same thought.

"I know Ivan is my son, and I love him; but an intervention has to take place eventually. You think Luka should be seeing how Ivan treats you? What about your own sanity, happiness-?"

"He's changed, I don't know what happened, but he's not the same way. He's better, he is getting better. I can tell and I can feel it. The only person he needs to show such a side to, is me. He doesn't need to prove anything to you guys. This isn't fair...I feel like you're all teaming up against him and trying to bring me into it..." Jeremiah felt his chest tightening, his eyes going between the both of them quickly. "I don't know much about what it feels like naturally to be an Alpha, but I know enough. The feeling to protect him...it's running rampant when I'm in the presence of you all."

Jeremiah inhaled deeply, setting his hands on Ivan's father's table.

"I respect you, so much sir. You helped create the person I love most. How can I not respect you? You have taken me as a mentee to possibly be in a place I never thought I'd take. I once believed I was meant to be nothing more than what I once was. Now I'm something more, greater even!" Jeremiah stopped, looking over at Tate who looked like he understood.