twenty three

"So how do you choose to go about this marriage, the both of you?"

Jeremiah and Ivan sat before both of their parents, Ivan holding onto Jeremiah's hand tightly. All of them could feel that Ivan was now bitten and belonged to Jeremiah. So even if they did separate, the mark was now another hurdle.

"If you two ever...were to separate, now it's made one-hundred times more difficult." Ivan's mother stated kindly despite Jeremiah's glare towards her. "I say that kindly."

"It doesn't matter." Jeremiah looked away from them, pulling Ivan closer against him. "We obviously have made our choice. We're now Mates, something you guys can understand. We now feel one another more than we ever have before. I know his true feelings...and I feel within him that he is sorry. We both don't owe you anything, especially him."

"But-."

"You can judge me all you want, but I've made my choice. I'm staying with Ivan and I will protect him from anyone continuing to talk down on him. The past is in the past, if I have moved on, why can't you guys do the same?" Jeremiah genuinely asks without any malice.

Ivan could probably easily guess. It's the exact same thing everyone else has been saying. Except he knew that things were different.

He loved Jeremiah and the fact that people still didn't think so bothered him more than he'd ever admit.

What Jeremiah said was true. They didn't owe anybody anything in terms of their relationship and what they do. Except it killed him to know that people believe Jeremiah is a fool for letting his "abuser" win.

There was nothing to ever win in this situation in regard to that.

"I know the way I treated him was horrible, complete shit to be honest," Ivan snorts, ignoring Jeremiah's parents obvious discomfort to him possibly laughing at the situation, "but I'm not...like that anymore. I tried, I really did. I tried to get away and let him find someone better, to do better than me. I tried taking the advice that was given to me, but he always kept looking for me. I wanted only the best for him because I felt like I was the worst it could get. Except to him, I was not."

Ivan looked back at Jeremiah softly, beginning to have to control his own happiness. He could tell that if he would show any type of happiness from this, that they'd take it some kind of way.

Jeremiah also knew that to be true.

"I don't know what more you could want from us. We are still following the laws, no laws have been broken with us staying together. My happiness and wellbeing is really none of your concern, let me do my own thing." Jeremiah looked at his parents only this time.

He could tell that that hurt them because he knew they just wanted to protect him. Except he understood that, but he didn't need them to do anything.

"I just want...you guys to trust what we have and our placement right now. I'm happy...I promise." Jeremiah stands up, helping Ivan to his feet as they now looked down at them in their seated placements. "Is there anything else you wish to ask before we leave?"

They all sat silently, because they knew there was truth to their statements. At the same time, especially for Jeremiah's parents, all he could think about was what Ivan had done.

The cruel words, torment, rudeness, hatred-filled actions.

"Okay, then we will leave-."

"Actually, I do have something to ask." Ivan's father spoke up.

Ivan instantly felt like he knew what he was going to ask and became annoyed.

"What?"

"In all of this, do you now actually feel like an Alpha? Not just because you are one, but within - do you feel it within yourself?" He questions him.