sixteen

Ivan found himself waking up abruptly, startled because he knew he wasn't technically supposed to be up this early. Except when he looked over, he saw Jeremiah looking down at him as he sat up against the headboard.

Instantly, he sat up excitedly as he smiled at Jeremiah. Except Jeremiah remained calm to his surprise, but he just grinned as he comes a little closer.

"I'm surprised too...if you're wondering why I'm awake so early. I didn't expect it either," Ivan chuckles, looking at Jeremiah who looked away from him now.

He saw how tense he was and he cleared his throat.

"Are you okay?"

"No." Jeremiah answered easily, causing Ivan to become nervous.

"Is it...because of my father? He didn't punish you right? You were just defending me," Ivan tried to help him despite not knowing if that was the real reason why.

Jeremiah shook his head, pulling his hand away from Ivan before he could touch him. Right then and there, Ivan could tell that he was different.

He saw how uncomfortable he was, how much he was avoiding his touch to a certain degree, and barely responding to him. No longer reassuring him and seemed...put off by him now.

His eyes lowered now when Jeremiah looked at him, but he looked back nervously. "You seem different... What happened while I was out?"

"I had the blessing removed, to be completely frank with you." Jeremiah answered him, and instantly Ivan felt angry.

Except he kept that anger suppressed, his face becoming red as he had to keep himself from yelling. His lips trembling almost, Jeremiah watched him trying to keep himself together.

Now he couldn't even understand how he tried so hard to protect his feelings. To protect how he felt and now he didn't want to. Seeing him upset at all made him a little happy because he was at least feeling something about it.

"Why...would you do that?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Jeremiah questioned him firmly, causing Ivan to blush in shame. "Don't ask me stupid questions. That 'blessing' was making me your personal puppet. I want to feel what I'm supposed to feel. It wasn't normal how I was going about everything. I deserve to be upset."

Ivan didn't deny that truth, facing back forward. He waited to hear the same things like he did in the reality where he had a second chance. For him to leave him and possibly even go with Tate.

"Yeah, you do," Ivan mumbled, getting out of the bed, "so are you going to divorce me?"

"No, I'm not." Jeremiah got up too as he came towards Ivan.

He stood before him and gripped his arms, caressing them kindly. Except it wasn't the same way that Ivan remembered. It was less...of something - everything.

"Why?"

"Why ask me why? You know why." Jeremiah let go, grinning as Ivan became pale. "Your assumption is wrong. I still...love you. You had my child, we are married, and I still..."

Jeremiah stopped, unable to say the rest.

Ivan felt sick at the fact that Jeremiah couldn't even say anymore than that. It's just because they're married and have a child together. Nothing more...

"You still...what?" Ivan asks painfully as the strain in his voice was evident.

"That's all I want to share with you." Jeremiah looked away quickly as he didn't want to say anymore. There wasn't more he could say because that was truly it.