Chapter 5

Including the absurdity of last night, the two of them have only met twice. It seems that there is no other reason to come to him at this time except to settle the score.

  He put the phone back into his pocket and looked up to see a black Maybach parked opposite him. It was quite low-key. Wen Heng walked towards the car.

  From Qu Mubai's angle, he could clearly see that at the brightly lit school gate, a boy in a black short-sleeved shirt lowered his head and slid the screen with his right hand holding an umbrella, then walked towards him, step by step. The lights behind him gradually blurred, as if he was walking towards him across time and space.

  He rolled down the car window and said in simple and clear words,

  "boarding."

  Wen Heng stood in front of the car without moving, the umbrella in his hand turned around, and then it was firmly grasped in his palm, his eyebrows slightly raised,

  "Can I ask what you want from me?"

  "cannot."

  .........

  The two of them were in a stalemate for a long time, and finally Wen Heng gave in. He pulled the back door but didn't open it. He looked up at Qu Mubai who was sitting steadily in the driver's seat, and finally sat in the passenger seat resignedly, with his right arm casually resting on the window sill.

  "What are you going to do now?"

  "..."

  Qu Mubai didn't say anything, started the car, and didn't say another word the whole time.

  That's right, he has only said two sentences to me since he came here...

  Four words.

Maybe because he slept for too long, his head hurt a little. Wen Heng rubbed his swollen temples and stared out the window in a daze.

  The black Maybach shuttled through the night. The surrounding scenery kept receding. Under the street lights that were a little far away, the interior of the car also changed back and forth between light and darkness. In a trance, someone looked up at the rearview mirror, rubbed the steering wheel lightly with his fingers, and with a little force, the car sped up another two points.

  Wen Heng seemed to sense something, but when he turned his head to look, he only saw the other person's indifferent profile.

  The car went around and around and finally stopped at the entrance of an alley. Wen Heng followed Qu Mubai out of the car and walked to the end of the alley. Looking at the sign above his head, he didn't expect that this man was taking him here to eat.

  This shop is small but crowded. There are small wooden signs hanging on the walls, which, combined with the orange lights, make people feel relaxed.

  The shop owners were an elderly couple. When they saw Qu Mubai coming over, they immediately greeted him familiarly.

  "I'm coming."

  Wen Heng couldn't help but look at Qu Mubai, and saw that the corner of his mouth was rarely covered with a smile. He nodded slightly, and even the words he spoke were a little gentler.

  "Yeah, here I come."

  "same as usual?"

  "Add a sweet and sour pork tenderloin, and yes, a pine nut corn."

  "Okay," the boss responded cheerfully, and narrowed his eyes when he saw Wen Heng.

  "This kid doesn't come here often, and he's still young."

  ?

  Wen Heng didn't understand, but the boss had already opened the door curtain and entered the kitchen. Qu Mubai, who was sitting next to him, was drinking the tea brought by the boss's wife and had no intention of speaking.

  Maybe the original body has been here before.

  He picked up the teacup and took a sip, then tilted his head to look at the wooden plaques on the wall. These were probably left by diners while they were eating. Some wrote wishes, some wrote feelings, some wrote confessions, and some simply wrote a name, choosing to bury their emotions deep in their hearts.

  I don't know if Qu Mubai has written about it. Do you want to look for it?

  This thought flashed through his mind and was then forgotten. There was a wall of wooden signs and he might not be able to find them even if he looked for them tomorrow.