Chapter 31

Bellamy:

I'm standing in the middle of the room surrounded by the Grounder Council and the Commander himself, Lexa. My weapon is in my hand and I'm ready to fight, but I don't understand what's going on. Echo has disappeared and she doesn't seem to have told us the truth.

"Bellamy! Bellamy, come in." My eyes fall on my radio, on my pants. I take it in my hand and listen to Raven's voice. Her voice doesn't sound normal, but more broken than ever. "The Grounders attacked Mount Weather." My heart starts beating faster. "What are you talking about?" "It's gone, It's gone. They're all gone, Sinclair and I are the only ones left. Lillya is dead. She is dead." She starts to cry and sob.

"Bellamy, I'm sorry... I'm sorry." I can no longer take in the words. Everything around me disappears and my head gets loud. Lillya is dead. She is dead!

_____________________________________

Last night I couldn't close a single eye, my thoughts were only filled with Lillya. I'm still in shock and can't believe it. Of course I was always afraid of losing her, but that it would really happen... There is a damn stabbing pain in my chest, as if my heart is contracting. I can see her smile in front of me the whole time, her soft lips. Her soft and delicate skin. Her enchanting hair. Her beautiful eyes, those damn eyes. The eyes I fell in love with. I can hear her laughter in my ears, but it hurts. I don't know what to do anymore, I should never have left her there, I should never have left her alone. It's my fault.

_____________________________________

I wait until the door to the room opens and Abby and the others come out. I walk in slowly. Kane is the only one who isn't in the room and he also seems very upset by the death of his daughter. "Sir." He turns and looks at me briefly before looking away again because he has tears in his eyes. "Why aren't you at your post?"  I put my guard jacket on the table next to him and look at him. "Don't do this."

"Forty-nine of the people I swore to protect died yesterday because I left." "That's not your fault, Bellamy. Place the blame where it belongs. On the Ice Nation." I shake my head. "The Ice Nation didn't tell Lillya to stay there. That was me." Kane swallows hard but then stands up to look me straight in the eye and puts his hand on my shoulder. "Given the information you had at the time, you made a reasonable choice. You were trying to save lives."

Tears slowly form in my eyes. "But I didn't." I exhale heavily and before a tear rolls down my face, I leave the room.

_____________________________________

"Who speaks for Ires Jones?" The eyes wander around, while mine are only directed at the floor. The idea came from Pike that we say goodbye to all the dead and say a few words. A boy gets up and walks forward to stand in front of us. "Iris was strong. Good with a knife. She saved my life. I'm just sorry I couldn't do the same for her." He picks up the knife in his hand and places it on the table next to him before sitting back in his seat.

Pike stands up again. "We will miss Iris. May we meet again." Everyone echoes, "Who will speak for Lillya Kane?" My heart tightens again and I want to stand up. I want to say something about her and say goodbye, but I can't. My eyes drift to Raven, who stands up and limps forward. There are tears in her. There are tears in her eyes and she looks totally tired because she probably hasn't slept either.

"Lillya-" she sighs and wipes away her tears. "Lillya was the best soul I've ever known. She was always there for others, even though she didn't have it easy herself. Her smile was as infectious as sunshine and... and I will miss it forever. May we meet again." "May we meet again." She takes a scarf from her trouser pocket and places it on the table. It's one of the scarves she always wore around her wrists.

Our silence is interrupted by several guards coming in and Pike immediately gets up to talk to them. As hard as I try to listen, I can't hear a thing. After speaking to theirs, Pike walks over to Kane and Abby. "The Grounders are here. An army. Three hundred strong. Camped less than a mile from here." "We know." My eyes widen and I look suspiciously at Abby. "What?" "India radioed." "You gave a grounder one of our radios?" 

Whispers start immediately and everyone starts to panic. "Sir, are we under attack?" Kane shakes his head and stands up. "No, we are not under attack. Their commander sent a peacekeeping force. To ensure that we can defent against any further attacks from Ice Nation." "Peacekeeping force? Even you can't be that naive, Marcus." Abby stands next to Kane and looks at Pike with venomous eyes. "Watch your tone. You're talking to the next Chancellor. We're all grieving. This has been hard on all of us. But we can't let anger drive our policy."

"Anger is our policy. If they're here to defend us, as you say, the. tell them to go home. We can defend ourselves!" Everyone starts to panic and attack each other.

_____________________________________

The third Scotch whisky is now in my hand, while Pike sits opposite me. "Let's talk about Mount Wheather. I know you think it was your fault. Is that why you resigned?" I take a drink before looking at Pike. "You're right. It was your fault. And mine too. Every life we honored at the memorial service was lost because we trusted an Earthling." "I talked you into it. I knew her and vouched for her."

"No, you're not solely responsible for that." He briefly interrupts his conversation as two new mugs of whisky are placed in front of us. He leans forward and speaks more quietly. "I knew what they were capable of. When I got careless one day and 35 of my people died. Never again."

"Kane's a good man, I know you're close to him. But he doesn't think we're fighting a war. He thinks the Earthlings can control the Earthlings. And now they're in the woods outside our house, with a peacekeeping force?" "What would you do?" "What I wouldn't do is wait for them to attack us. My scouts tell me they have 300 soldiers and only one rifle. Ten highly motivated men with automatic rifles would be enough. I have the men."

I look around and see people staring at us, probably ready to fight for Pike. "You're asking me to get you the weapons?" He nods. "That's betrayal." "This is survival. The Grounders out there will attack this camp, and our leaders will do nothing. Right now, we have the element of surprise. If we wait, we die. If they want to call it treason, I'm willing to take the consequences to save our people. Are you?" I think for a moment before nodding at him.

_____________________________________

Together with Pike's people, we make our way to the arms. Three of our men stand in front of us and even when two of them leave, Lincoln remains standing. One of Pike's men tries to shoot him down, but Lincoln fights back and before anything else happens Abby and Kane arrive. They intervene and have us arrested. Kane looks at me disappointed and even though I can understand him, I want revenge. I want to protect my people.

"Everybody, back to your quarters. It's over." "Nothing it's over. We are surounded by warriors who wants us dead." "That's enough!" "No, it isn't. Not even close. Why don't you show us all what you let the Grounders do to you yesterday? Come on, Kane. I think that the people who are about to vote for you have a right to know." Kane pulls up his sleeve and shows everyone standing around him.

"It's the mark if the Commander's coalition. It means we are the 13th clan. It means we are in this fight together." "No, It's what farmers used to do to their livestock." People start arguing while we all shout Pike.

_____________________________________

1406 words.