Tyrant's Beloved (16)

Regardless of what achievements they may make in the future, they were now a group of newcomers about to step into the officialdom. In various aspects, they were quite inexperienced. The Emperor's simple words could ignite their passion, instill ambitious aspirations, and make them willing to sacrifice for the glory of Great Zhou.

Li Shu stood at the forefront. Even though he felt the malicious gazes behind him, he couldn't turn around to check, so he had to suppress his doubts.

Unlike the palace exam in Li Shu's original world, this meeting with the emperor didn't require them to make speeches in the main hall. The Emperor gave some encouragement, followed by a few simple questions.

This eased the tension among the candidates.

Because of Grand Academician Zhang Min, the Emperor was curious about Li Shu, and was inevitably a little biased when asking him questions. Others couldn't help but envy this special attention. Even though they hadn't entered the officialdom yet, they knew how crucial it was to gain the emperor's favor.

For a moment, many envious eyes were directed at Li Shu.

'Here it is again.' Li Shu frowned unconsciously. Who was so hostile toward him? While the emperor was questioning Yu Rongxiu, Li Shu glanced back with his peripheral vision but found nothing unusual.

[The third to last person standing on the right.] 1314 prompted the host.

Li Shu quickly glanced in that direction and then withdrew his gaze.

"I heard you had a serious illness a few days ago. Are you feeling better now?" After saying a few words to Yu Rongxiu, the emperor shifted the topic back to Li Shu.

"Your Majesty, the student is now in good health." Li Shu took a step forward and bowed respectfully.

The Emperor was referring to Li Shu's recent fever. He was initially worried that Li Shu would be impacted, but as expected of someone who could write such an article, his demeanor and eloquence were impressive enough.

"Take care of your health. The future of Great Zhou relies on the efforts of young people like you. Eunuch An, go to the storage room and pick some supplements. Let Zi Shu take them to replenish his body and serve Great Zhou in the future."

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

This was a blatant favor. With the emperor's actions, it was the same as explicitly saying, "I have high hopes for Li Shu and am ready to promote him". How could everyone not be surprised?

Now, the way everyone looked at Li Shu seemed a bit off. Those chosen to face the emperor in the palace were all talented individuals. If everyone were treated equally, they wouldn't feel uneasy. However, with one person being singled out, it easily created a sense of imbalance.

'Why did he catch the emperor's eye when I'm just as capable?' Such thoughts flooded the minds of many.

Li Shu was somewhat speechless. He suspected the emperor did this intentionally, deliberately saying these things to attract hostility towards him.

Majestic Desert Splendor0.00 / 0.00

"To be honest, I envy the way His Majesty treats you." After leaving the palace, Yu Rongxiu squeezed onto Li Shu's carriage, deliberately holding his chest as if he was heartbroken.

"Don't say that. I'd rather not have this favor. If you want it, I can give it to you." Li Shu's lips curled slightly, a hint of a smile in his eyes.

"No, no, no," Yu Rongxiu quickly waved his hand. "But the way His Majesty is doing this... you should be careful in the future."