Part 4

On the walk back, May picks flowers and puts them in David's shirt pocket.
"What do they look like?" David pats his pocket.
"Beautiful. They look beautiful with how you look." May smiles and squeezes David's hand twice. David didn't take out his walking stick, because he has May. They walk into the air conditioned building and a very tall and muscular man walks towards them.
"How's it going May?" The man has a very deep voice. He's walking closer and closer until he is about 6 inches from May's face.
"Will. Go away." May's head is turned towards David's shoulder.
"Oh. It's okay May. Just one little kiss." He pins her against the wall behind her. David's hand and hers split and she is hitting Will's back, trying to get him off her lips.
"Dude! Get off!" David waves his hand in the air until he finds the guy's arm. He pulls his arm down and he takes his lips off of May's. "Are you serious? She said she wanted you gone. I don't know who you are or what you did but you need to leave or I'll call someone." David rests one hand on his pager and puts his arm over May's chest.
"Am I supposed to listen to a blind man?" The man is basically yelling now. "Maybe she doesn't even like you because you're blind." David presses the button and after a few minutes of yelling and swearing, Trey shows up.
"Leave. Before I get the dean." Trey points out the door and the man leaves in silence. "That guy was not part of this school. You did the right thing Dave." He pats David on the back and walks away. May's face was tear-stained and red as she slumps down to her knees. Her throat was stripped of her voice.
"David... Thank you."
"Let me carry you." He picks May up easily and makes his way to his room. He lays her on his bed and takes off her jacket to reveal scars that David could feel with his fingers. She was wearing a sleeveless sun dress that day and the scars were only on the right side of her body under her arm below her arm pit.
"Oh May..." David gently moves his fingers along the scars. She must have fallen asleep. When she wakes up David was still awake, sitting at the foot of the bed just twiddling his thumbs.
"David." She sits up and gives him the biggest hug.
"You're up." He takes her under his arm and let's her curl up next to him. "Are you okay?"
"I love how that's the first thing you ask me. Yes, I'm fine. That was my ex. He hurt me. Emotionally and physically. That's where I got these scars." She put her hand on them.
"I'm sorry."
"Why are you sorry? He's the jerk."
"I'm sorry you didn't have someone to love you. I'm sorry that he hurt you. Someone had to apologize and it wasn't going to be him. I'm also sorry that I can't get enough for you. You are amazing and I don't know what kind of monster that would hurt you. I will try my best to fix you." A single tear falls from David's face and lands on May's yellow dress. May looks up to see David's clenched jaw and the wetness on his cheek. She takes her hand and turns David's head for him. As soon as David feels her lips on his, he can't hold back the tears and he wraps his arms around her small waist. He feels the scars. He feels her heartbeat.
"You will always be enough. More than enough. David. I know we haven't known each other very long but I think this is going to last." May kisses him again and scoots down on the bed so David isn't in an awkward position. They pull apart and May wipes his tears but they keep their foreheads together. "Why are you crying?" She holds his hands.
"No one has ever really made me... Feel." David sniffs. May lifts his chin and kisses him again.
"I really like you David."