Part 5

•1 Year Later•
"Hey May. Can you come over? Jason isn't here I just have... Breaking news. Okay. See you soon. Well.. Haha. I won't actually SEE you soon but I'll hear you. Anyway. Come as soon as you can." David hands the phone back to Trey. "I'm worried she will be mad. Or we'll break up."
"May is a wonderful girl. I think she will be okay with it. I gotta go man."
"Bye."
"Bye." David waits on May for about 30 minutes until she knocks on the door. "It's open." May walks in and sits on the bed.
"Hey what's up? Are you okay?" May rests her hand on his leg.
"I'm fine. May, I have.. Something to tell you but just don't... Worry. Okay?" David is shaking.
"Okay?... Go ahead." She pats him on his back and scoots to put her back on the wall. David takes a deep, shaky breath.
"I have already talked to my dad about this and the path that I have taken, education wise, is not the right decision. I will say that it is not a mistake that I came here. I met you. I made a friend. I love it here. I just can't stay here. I'm going back home." David bites the inside of his cheek and holds May's hand. A pause goes by.
"David. No matter what happens, I will always be here. You can't see me so you will have to know that I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon. If it makes you happy, I'm all for it. I'll be here. Give me your hand." May pulls David into her, a kiss.
"May. I think I love you." David pulls her closer.
"David. I have never felt the same." They tightly squeeze each other.
"May. I think May is beautiful. At least on the inside." David feels her hair. Smooth.
"Why thank you. I'll write that down." They put their heads together and smiled.
"No. Thank you."

The day that David packs up his bags has come.
"I hope you make it home safe." May hands him a big teddy bear. "I love you David."
"I love you May. Thank you. I'll see you soon. Very soon." David points his head to the ground and leans back and forth on his heels and toes. He's trying not to cry.
"Give me your hand." May and David hold hands and put their heads together.
"Hey Dave!" Trey walks up. "Oh hey May." May waves. "Dude. I just ran halfway across campus. This was fun. Hope it's not over." Trey nudges David in the bicep.
"It's not. Thanks for being my friend." David says.
"Fist bump." David lifts his fist and Trey bumps it. "Bye Dave!"
"This isn't over! Bye!"
"Kiss." May goes on her tip toes and kisses David. "I'm gonna miss you."
"I'll miss you too. I really got to go. I love you May." David holds her hand.
"I love you." She fixes his hair and turns him around. As David walked away he could hear May sob. It hurts.. To hear her cry.

"Welcome back Dave." His dad meets him at the airport and greets him with a hug.
"Hey Dad."
"Let's go home. You can tell me about all the exciting details." David takes his dad's wrist and they get to the car. The cool air of Minnesota feels great on his sun burned skin. May did help him put on sunscreen before they went out though. San Fransisco can have very sunny weather.
"So... Did you make friends with Trey?" Dad isn't usually the snoop type so this conversation should be alright.
"I did. He is pretty cool. My roommate was a little d- bag though. He got drunk and called me stupid names and made fun of me. After that he was never really my friend." David decides to open up to his dad.
"Oh. That stinks. Did you meet... A girl?"
"Actually. I did. Her name is May. She is the most beautiful girl I have ever talked to."
"But, Son, you can't see her."
"I can though. I can see her personality and her heart. Dad, I think I love this woman." David leans his head on the headrest.
"Have you kissed her?"
"Yes."
"You really think you love her?"
"Completely."
"Well. I support you in whatever you two do. Me and your mother were like you two. We were college sweethearts. She made time stop whenever I saw her. I loved her then just as much as when we got married."
"Thank you Dad." David holds the teddy bear in his arms, burying his face into it. It smells of faint roses. It smelled like May.