Chapter 22 - Blue and Violet

When the Hedgehogs and the living sword defeated the Grindvine, they headed to Ellimaf's home. Blackess wasn't surprised that Galotum's most-wanted ventured out for the Rainbow Lily to save a life. However, he was surprised by who the blue Hedgehog tried to save. He replayed it in his mind and concluded that if their roles were reversed, he would do the same.

Swift and Blackess arrived back with no time to spare. Blackess went straight to work on the cure, first grinding the flower into powder, then mixing it with water. He gently poured the liquid so that the elderly Hedgehog could drink the medicine.

Ellimaf soon awoke from his bed and embraced Swift. The other two waited in the background, understanding that this was a family reunion while also considering the struggle that Ellimaf had been through.

Afterwards, they all ate dinner together, except for Calasea who still happily joined them at the table to share old lore and musings. The company sat and talked for some time that evening. When Ellimaf asked if Blackess was one of Swift's allies, the M.A.-Shadow appeared troubled and conflicted. The striped Hedgehog eventually told the mustached Hedgehog that he wasn't a friend but rather a recent acquaintance. Swift wondered why Blackess hadn't revealed that he was a Knight of Order who was no longer aligned with Lee-ana. That's when it hit him. Blackess didn't see himself as a Knight since Lee-ana had banished him and taken Aroonight away.

With dinner over and the dishes cleaned, the teen Hedgehogs and Calasear bid farewell to Ellimaf. Calasear advised the mustached Hedgehog to take the medicine for five weeks to avoid falling ill again.

"Before you two go, there are some things I need to tell you," Blackess's serious tone captured Galotum's most-wanted attention.

"What's on your mind?" Swift asked.

"During your conversation with Ellimaf, you mentioned that you made two of the Knights of Order your allies?" The M.A.-Shadow inquired.

Swift nodded in reply before Blackess continued, "Who are they exactly?"

This time, Calasear spoke up. "Sir Gawain and Sir Beak."

"Ah, that makes sense. It's a miracle you haven't met the Black Knight. I suggest you don't try to reason with him."

"Why not?" The M.A.-Sonic asked, raising an eyebrow. Swift had a feeling he already knew the answer.

"...The Black Knight isn't just the strongest or the most loyal among us; he's also the most ruthless."

"Ruthless?" Swift and Calasear echoed, disturbed by Blackess's choice of words. Wise Steel felt a slight chill. If someone like Blackess was calling this warrior ruthless, the Black Knight must have a fearsome reputation among the Knights.

"Yes. During my training as a Knight of Order, when I pointed out a flaw in his methods of training, he refused to listen. Instead, the Black Knight continued training me the same way. Do you know how many times I passed out?"

The duo shook their heads.

"Honestly, I don't know why I kept count... It was somewhere in the hundreds. And every time I recovered, he would drag me back to training."

The duo was horrified; who wouldn't be after hearing about Blackess's suffering? Calasear, although he hadn't met the Black Knight personally, felt a surge of anger. No teacher or anyone else should inflict such suffering on the youth.

"So, I would recommend finding the Princess instead," Blackess's voice brought his associates back from their thoughts.

"Princess? You mean Princess Percival?" Swift asked for clarity.