THE ACCIDENT

three days prior, was an opening of a new exhibit at the local art gallery

three days prior, was an opening of a new exhibit at the local art gallery. edith was going to go alongside her mother in order to accompany edwina, but decided against it at the last moment because it wouldn't be the same without alison going with them. and alison didn't go, because it wouldn't be the same viewing art without benedict.

after that certain 'conflict' with one of benedict's fellow students at the academy, alison hadn't spoken to him in those same three days. not by choice, more so that she hadn't had the opportunity to yet. she wasn't angry at him, how could she be? it wasn't exactly his fault. but the girl was somewhat embarrassed, as well as scared, that she'd made benedict look bad in front of his peers that night at his party. but, she was determined to make it up to him at the bridgerton-sharma ball tonight.

but first, alison knew that she needed a chance to get out of the house - which is something that she hadn't done in the last three days. and she needed to do it alone, which could potentially be difficult as her important position as countess meant that she was considered a spinster no longer - because the need to secure her position was getting more dire.

yet, the latter found herself reading and writing poetry on a park bench residing near grosvenor square - the park being generally familliar, as alison is used to promenading there with benedict and her family.

"is this seat taken?" a voice says, standing above alison.

the countess looks up to see non other than kate sharma, who is wearing a particularly put-out expression.

"please." alison sends her a sympathetic smile, and nods down to the seat beside her that kate is quick to sit in. "you look like somethings troubling you." she closes her book and turns to face the older girl.

"it is just edwina." kate sighs. "i have ruined our relationship and ensured that she will never trust me again. and i know that you know. you're so very perceptive, and close with the viscount's brother, how could you not."

"if you are questioning the viscount's honour and ability to gossip, i suggest you think otherwise." the green-eyed girl chuckles. "he would never dream of gossiping, and as you can already tell he is quite happy to keep his feelings to himself. i figured it out on my own."

"how did you figure it out?" the brown-eyed girl treads carefully.

"because i've seen the way he looks at you, miss sharma. i have never seen him look at anybody that way."

"please." kate stops her. "miss sharma seems too formal, and i may need a friend right now."

"very well, kate." the driftwater girl offers. "friends it is."

"why are you being so nice to be?" kate lets out a chuckle. "you know what i did to my sister and her wedding."

"i know that what happend wasn't your intention. and, i know that you love him." that last sentence shocks kate. "i can see it in your eyes. and that, is something i've only noticed in poetry or in paintings. i, myself, may never experience that so it makes it easier to recognise."