A NEW ARRIVAL

benedict, alison, colin, hyacinth, and gregory are all in the garden with benedict's new playing cards

benedict, alison, colin, hyacinth, and gregory are all in the garden with benedict's new playing cards. there's been around three rounds up until now; hyacinth winning the last two, and alison winning the first.

young hyacinth happens to be quite good at card games, so good that her siblings continue to accuse her of cheating. gregory insists that he is trying to wear-down the other players with his elongated strategies, but the truth of it is that he is quite indecisive. benedict, is a fairly talented player, though he is not afraid to lose on purpose in order to watch a battle break-out between his younger siblings. colin is majorly okay with some good strategies up his sleeve, but as of late it is obvious that he has something else on his mind. something much more important than a card game.

hyacinth stares down at her card selection, which amuses colin. "hesitating, hyacinth?"

"i do not hesitate." she replies sternly.

"and yet, here we are waiting." gregory pokes at her.

"it is to your good fortune, as she fleeced you in the last hand." colin reminds him.

"i play a long game." the second youngest says, as though it's obvious.

"if a long game is what you call losing profusely, greg, then a long game it is." alison jokes with a chuckle.

hyacinth clears her throat. "i am pleased with my hand."

alison looks down at her cards and nods. "as am i."

"now you hesitate." colin tells gregory, who continues to look unsure.

"i shall like to trade." he looks towards benedict, who is equally as eager.

"i am out of this round." colin suddenly announces, placing his cards down.

"coward." gregory says.

"told you he had his strategy." benedict nudges alison and tells her.

"col, are you joking?" alison groans at him.

"we may need more coins, the way hyacinth is playing." he stands from his seat.

bendict scoffs out of amusement, and alison rolls her eyes having used a similar strategy to hyacinth.

"are you certain you're not cheating?" gregory asks the two girls.

"do you think us magicians?" hyacinth jokes.