I DO(N'T)

the day has finally came; anthony and edwina's wedding

the day has finally came; anthony and edwina's wedding. in the morning before the driftwaters arrive, alison has to practically drag edith from her bed. but, who could blame her? no one wants to watch the woman that they're in love with get married. so, as it was, the three driftwater women walked past the courtyard to get into the church upon arrival.

"what is that thing?" edith grimaced, staring at the peacock.

"it's a peacock, edith." alison replies, matter-of-factly. "you cannot be that dull, surely."

"girls." dianna warns, as they make their way towards the entrance of the church. "you will not argue today of all days."

once the three walked inside, their eyes immediately gravitated towards the large greenery bouquets in each pew - as well as all of the guests standing around and chatting. this almost brought a tear to dianna's eye, as this was the very same church that her and james married in all those years ago. it was her greatest wish that either of her daughters, or perhaps both, would get married in that same very place.

the driftwater girls were quick to seperate from their mother, who was tending to a put-out lady danbury, and stand with eloise and colin.

"it is a wonder i have found the four of you in the midst of this opulence, is it not?" penelope comments, walking up to the group.

"indeed, penelope." alison offers the younger girl a chuckle.

"quite. her majesty's fondness for the diamond exceeds even what lady whistledown suggests." eloise says. "daphne's wedding was not nearly as extraordinary, and she married a duke."

"perhaps the queen requires our attention in new ways. the weight of the crown is quite heavy. perhaps she seeks to prove herself still significant and equal to task." penelope tells them.

"quite right you are, it seems." alison offers the redhead a nod, as did edith.

"is that not the plight of all mankind?" colin interjects.

"i believe it is."

"do not indulge him. he has been insufferable ever since returning from greece." eloise tells her friend. "or was it your visit with lady crane?"

"lady crane?" edith finally speaks up, only to not be answered.

"the cause does not matter nearly as much as the truth."

"which is?" alison muses him.

"one must make a name for oneself if this life is to mean anything at all."