SACRED WORDS FROM A FRIEND

anthony bridgerton is sat in his study, signing away on some last accounts before he takes time off after his impending nuptials

anthony bridgerton is sat in his study, signing away on some last accounts before he takes time off after his impending nuptials. as he's quietly finishing up the last of his work, a knock can be heard on the door. the man grumbles, expecting it to be one of his siblings or his mother, ready to tell them that he needs at least 30 minutes more peace and quiet. but, to his surprise, he opens the door to see alison driftwater gazing back at him.

"alison?" his brows quickly furrow as he motions for her to come in and take a seat. "benedict is currently at the academy, but he should be along soon enough if you'd like to wait."

"no, that's quite alright." she chuckles. "i actually came to see you."

"me?" anthony chuckles back. "whatever for?"

"well." the countess begins. "obviously my mother has insisted on getting you a rather large wedding gift from all of us. but, either way, i have something for you of my own." she reaches into her pocket, but is quickly stopped by the viscount.

"alison, that is highly unnecessary." he shakes his head with a soft smile. "i am grateful, but any other such gift would be far too much."

"anthony." the girl sighs. "you were there for me and my family, particularly me, in a way that nobody else was. you helped make me into the countess that i am today, after my father's passing. you are getting married tomorrow, so the least that i could do is offer my personal compliments." she takes out a spare piece of parchment from her pocket and hands it to him.

to my dearest friend, on the eve of your marriage.

i know that you were once beneath the yew, where shadows grew long, as shadows do. your heart was heavy, eyes cast low, grief had wrapped you in its woe. your father's voice, once warm and near, now echoes faintly, far from here.

yet years have turned, as years must pass, and time has worn a gentler glass. still, in the quiet of the night, his memory lingers, soft and bright. you rise to wed, in love anew, yet his absence walks beside you, too.

i know this pain, for i have borne the hollow ache that leaves us torn. we carry on, with tender grace, but always trace that missing face. and though today you don a veil, a part of you will still bewail.

but love, as love, will lift you high. beds of lilies, not of sighs. and though the past may never part, there's room for joy within your heart. take comfort, friend, for as you wed, the love you lost is never dead.

for in your vows, and in your tears, he watches through the veil of years. and in your steps, where joy may start, his hand will guide you, heart to heart.

as anthony reads alison's poem, his eyes well with tears. no one has ever voiced his feelings quite so well before, besides daphne and violet (and someone else that he refuses to acknowledge has such an influence on him.) he slowly glances up at her, looking almost gobsmacked at what she's written.