PROLOGUE

mid-november, 1813

mid-november, 1813

winter was never-ending, it seemed

winter was never-ending, it seemed. well, at least it had seemed that way for earl driftwater's family. the man himself was gravely ill and had been for quite some time, mayfair's physicians couldn't seem to work out the problem as to why he dealt with several 'spells' and prolonging fevers that had progressively gotten worse as soon as winter came about. james was suffering, it was plain to see amongst the rest of the ton.

moving across the street from the featheringtons and bridgertons in the more recent years served no hope for the family either, well, maybe just the featheringtons. the ton blamed the featheringtons lack of visit and public aid for the driftwaters on the fact that baron featherington had recently passed and the girls were 'riddled with grief'. but, portia featherington simply didn't care for their cause out of her own petty jealousy towards countess dianna. throughout the entirely of the earl and countess of driftwater's marriage, lady featherington had made multiple complaints about how she had james first and that her former best friend, countess dianna, stole him and left her to make the featherington match instead.

alison was considered the main consultant for bringing the bridgerton and driftwater families together in friendship, which was typical. alison was undeniably the earl's favourite child, which made sense to many, as he had no son or heir. this never bothered edith, the youngest daughter, as it only brought her closer to her mother. yet, generally speaking, the family were all close and had no particular strains in comparison to others. though in james' eye, alison was his heir.

but, the rest of the ton still couldn't believe it when the earl himself had arrived on the queen's doorstep.

"your majesty, you have a visitor." one of the guards told her as he entered the throne room, where queen charlotte was surrounded by a few of her ladies and brimsley with the newest copy of lady whistledown.

"yes, bring lady danbury in." she beckons forward with her silver-gloved hand.

"forgive me, your majesty, but it is not lady danbury."