THE BLOOM OF YOUTH

the next day, per benedict's request, alison went promenading with him, colin, and eloise

"oh. would you prefer to be promenading with your fellow debutantes?" benedict teases his sister.

"would you like to watch grass grow?" she remarks, which makes colin and alison chuckle. "and it is not me they are eyeing."

"i do not understand the limits of your new outlook." benedict speaks. "you're snug with cressida but have no interest in other debutantes. you wear a ribbon in your hair, but where is your fan?"

"why must i be the object of your curiosity?"

"because cressida is a dim-whit and you are not." alison tells her simply.

"well, it is not me whose outlook has most changed." eloise looks over at colin.

at benedict's 'hm', colin is quick to bring the conversation to him. "did you not promise anthony you would give society a try?"

alison laughs almost too loud. "you did what?"

benedict stops and sighs, as colin dismisses himself. "i shall see you both later."

"oh! what time is it?" alison asks the sibling duo.

benedict takes out his pocket-watch and looks at the time. "it is half twelve, almost. why?"

"oh no." she sighs. "i am late. excuse me, i'll talk to you both later." the countess walks away quite quickly without more of an explanation.

"where on earth is she going?" eloise asks.

"i have no idea." benedict replies, just watching her walk away.

lady kate bridgerton sat at a table in the bridgerton drawing room, her eyes flickered back to the clock every other minute or so

lady kate bridgerton sat at a table in the bridgerton drawing room, her eyes flickered back to the clock every other minute or so. then, suddenly, a voice had announced itself upon speeding into the room - making kate look up to see who it was. lady alison driftwater, her friend.