THE GIRL IN THE TREE

august, 1798

august, 1798

"i see the flowers are coming up quite well

"i see the flowers are coming up quite well." baron, joshil, kothari points out, as him and his best friend walk around the driftwater garden.

"of course, josh. you know how our bennet is a floriphile." earl james jokes.

a rustling can be heard in a tree, the one that centers the driftwater garden.

"and what is that? a bird of some-kind?" lord kothari humours his friend.

"yes, it is." james laughs, looking up at the trees, seeing a small foot poke out resting on a branch. "come on down, bird!" he calls out.

"agh! almost there!" a small voice calls out, sounding as if they are struggling to climb out of the tree. a small brunette girl with piercing green eyes appears before the two men, hanging down from a branch and giggling.

"allie, come down from there." james speaks softly.

"sorry, daddy." alison driftwater, a seven year old girl, continues to giggle and drop down from the tree.

"have you spend time with your mother and sister? not just climbing trees all day i hope." the earl is jokingly stern.

"i tried to read to edith today, but she is so boring and does not answer me." the young girl groans.

"that is because edith is two, alison." the man sighs, as his friend beside him laughs.

"yes, but you think she'd at least talk." the girl shrugs.

"father!" a young boy walks out into the driftwater garden.

"ah, son!" joshil calls to a young declan kothari, who is all but ten years old. "come to join the men in the garden, have you?" he chuckles.