A TRAGIC LOSS

december, 1813

december, 1813

whilst many had taken to their country estates and trips abroad at summer's end, the driftwaters stayed home to tend to the dying man of the household

whilst many had taken to their country estates and trips abroad at summer's end, the driftwaters stayed home to tend to the dying man of the household. upon word of earl james' unknown condition worsening, the bridgertons rushed back to mayfair in aid of the struggling family.

they were at driftwater house almost everyday, helping the women take their minds off of the dying man whilst doctors came and went.

alison would never forget the day she found out her father's title would be passed to her. after a long week of taking care of the earl, as per usual to their current routine, he slipped away quietly in his sleep. it was bright and early that dianna had found him dead lying beside her. the screams of pure agony she made were loud enough to wake the entire household as well as traumatise them for life.

alison finally ran into the room after edith, she already knew what had happend. had it been coming from another room in the house, she wouldn't have had the faintest clue. her mother and little sister were sobbing hysterically whilst clinging onto eachother, almost as if they were afraid of what might happen if they let go.

the girl's eyes flicked between her father's lifeless body, as the servants tended to him, and the other two that were in hysterics. in panic. she charged towards the two and wrapped her arms around them both, painfully holding in her tears so that she might take care of them first.

it was 40 minutes later that the doctor showed up and shooed the driftwater women into the hall as he worked. lady danbury arrived too, tending to dianna in the corner opposite the younger two - it sounded as if she was trying to convince the dowager to do something she couldn't bring herself to do. alison's eyes were locked onto her grieving mother from the opposite corner, as the latter tightly held edith in her arms, who hadn't yet stopped sobbing whilst alison was still yet to begin.

lady danbury trudged over to the two girls with her cane, taking edith's hand. she guided her over so that she might hug her mother once more, before guiding alison into a secluded room on the top floor of the house. "come with me, child." she said.