Chapter Nine

Author's Note: I'm a bit late getting this one up, but I had a pretty busy day! However, I do have some exciting news for today! On 8/12/24, Eyes of Azyron reached its 500 read milestone! I'm honestly a little bit at a loss for words that in this story's first month, it's already received that many reads. I cannot even begin to tell you how much your support has meant to me! Thank you all, for this milestone. Let's get this story to 1k reads, shall we?

My room was thoroughly drenched with the sweet scent of roses when I awoke

My room was thoroughly drenched with the sweet scent of roses when I awoke. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, which were fairly crusted over with the intermingled salts of both sleep and sorrow. My throat felt dry, and there was a pervasive itch in it. I swallowed, but my saliva was thick from sleep, so it did little to relieve my affliction.

I glanced towards my nightstand, and saw a bundle of color sitting upon it. I reached out towards it, and discovered the source of the strong scent that seemingly filled the room. It was a very large multi-colored bouquet of roses, ones I'm sure were plucked from the garden early this morning. I buried my face in them, quick to take in their soft, silky pleasure. I smiled, but that quickly faded as I realized who must have left these for me.

Upon standing up and reaching towards the table, my hand encountered two other objects; a slip of paper, and a necklace. Judging from the smooth roundness of the beads and their light color, I assumed they must be pearls. My heart skipped a beat, and concern furrowed my brow. How much had he paid for these?

I didn't give the paper much thought, as with my eyesight there was no way that I could read it. That would have to wait for Amelia to arrive. Suddenly, I blushed at the thought. I'd never had anyone read private notes left for me. I silently hoped he hadn't left anything overly devoted in that letter. I'd rather save myself the embarrassment. I had the irrational thought of tearing it up, but I was also afraid to anger him in any way, given what I now knew.

Still, Victor's revelation was unbelievable. His vampiric state-and potentially, my own-were things out of children's tales. How on earth had I gotten wrapped into this fantastical dilemma?

As horrible and bleak as it seemed, something good had come out of it. Amelia had become the friend I had always wished for, all my life. I had been socially removed as a girl, more intent on my mother's medicines and tinctures than anything else. I had so badly wanted to be important in life, so badly wanted to be someone of use, and of value. When she had passed away, I had gotten that wish, but by then I was self-isolated and alone. Amelia coming into my life had certainly changed that.