A New Alliance

Zeus, Volkov, and Daniel stood around the operating table of the hospital room, overlooking a war map of the city with some of the anthros. While most continued to lounge about the room, a few kept watch of the blizzard that raged outside the building, monitoring for any kind of activity in the streets below. Victor sat on the floor together with Aiyana along a wall of the hospital room as she lied her head across his lap, slumbering soundly. Victor kept his hand on her side, feeling the gazes of the anthros around him as he listened to the anthros conversing amongst themselves at the operating table.

"When we founded Earth For All, we never expected to take up arms..." The gruff anthro explained. "But once After Common Era started attacking our homes, we had no choice."

"Most of the citizens of the town fled once the fighting started. Those who stayed either joined our forces or After Common Era." An anthro says.

"How is it you've managed to keep up resistance after all this time?" Zeus then asks, looking up from the war map and to the anthros that stood around the table.

"We use hit and run tactics." A female anthro canine responds.  "Keeping this city in constant darkness allows us to move freely through the shadows and attack them at will." She said, placing her hands on her hips. 

"As far as we can tell," The gruff anthro chimed in. "After Common Era has dedicated the bulk of its forces to fighting the Nation's Army to the west. They seemed more concerned about fighting them than trying to snub us out."

Volkov pondered the information for a moment before bringing his gaze up from the war map and towards the other anthros. "Is this hospital your primary stronghold?" Volkov then asks.

"No." Another anthro responds.  "We used to have many hideouts and supply caches scattered throughout the city, but After Common Era would eventually find them and drive us out."  The anthro explained, tracing his finger over various locations on the war map. "We took over this hospital a few days ago."

"After Common Era has been moving more supplies and soldiers through the city since then." The gruff anthro chimed in again. "It's been too dangerous for us to make any moves against them."

"This blizzard could be the perfect opportunity for that." Daniel then suddenly says.

"I'd agree with you... but we have no idea where their main base is exactly." The female anthro canine says, glaring over to Daniel as he approached the table.

"Do you have any kind of leads?" Zeus then asks, glaring around at the round table of anthros.

"We do know they control the distribution centers on the outside of town, but we aren't too sure if it's their primary base." The gruff anthro responds.

"We could possibly investigate it." Volkov says, glaring over to Zeus.

Zeus ponders for a moment, placing his fingers around his chin.

The room falls silent for a moment. Suddenly, one of the anthros speaks up. "I think it's time we all address the elephant in the room." He says, stepping up to the table. "Why are you five even here?"

Zeus lets out a sigh. "Like I've said, that information is classified."

"How can we trust you to be on our side if you are keeping secrets?" The gruff anthro says, crossing his arms.

"Zeus, I think we can trust them with that kind of information. They could be useful in regard to our mission." Volkov says, placing his hand on Zeus' shoulder.

Zeus then let out another sigh. "Fine. We were sent by the Amarok military to collect intel on After Common Era and disrupt their war machine."

The gruff anthro lets out a soft chuckle. "Sounds like we could all benefit from some sort of alliance. If you plan on taking down those fascists, you'd do well with extra firepower at your disposal."

"He has a point, Zeus." Daniel says. "Don't get me wrong, our little rag tag team is top notch, but having a few extra guns watching our backs could get us out of any possible snafu we find ourselves in."

Zeus pondered to himself again, rubbing his chin. After a moment, he brings his hand down and gazes down to the war map on the table. "We are set to investigate the large facility on the outside of town."

"The US ARMY base? Why do you have business there?" The gruff anthro asks.

"We have intel that the US military is involved in aiding After Common Era." Zeus answers, looking up from the map and gazing around the table.

"That honestly doesn't surprise me." The gruff anthro says. "No matter how much we steal from their supply depots, they always seemed to be armed to the teeth."

"We plan on getting to the bottom of it. If indeed they are supplying After Common Era, the Nation's Army will dedicate more forces." Volkov says.

"Well, we are more than glad to offer our services to the Nation's Army's finest." The gruff anthro says.

"We appreciate it. We need a shelter to wait out this storm before we set out." Zeus says, looking to the gruff anthro.

He nods. "You can stay here. In the meantime, we should exchange intel and formulate a strategy."

Victor let out a soft sigh, adjusting his back that rested against the wall of the hospital room. Aiyanna softly stirs, nuzzling her face in Victor's lap. He gazes down to her and lets out a soft smile, gently running his hand up and down her side.

"What's the deal with you two?" A voice says.

Victor shot a glance above him, seeing a male anthro staring down at he and Aiyanna.

"What do you mean?" Victor asks.

"What I mean is that a... relationship, like yours. It's unseemly. And quite frankly, kind of insulting to our kind." The male anthro responds, crossing his arms.

Victor's brow furrows. "Well, you'd be more open minded if you knew our story, don't you think?"

The anthro scoffs. "Whatever. Even though you are part of the STF, just know that none of us take too kindly to humans around here."

Victor chuckles softly. "You'll come to find out I'm not like most the humans around here."

"Prove it and help us fight these After Common Era assholes, then." The anthro says.

"I was under the impression I was already on such an undertaking." Victor says, smirking to the anthro.

The anthro rolls his eyes, turning on his heel and strolling over to the operation table. Victor lets out another soft sigh, gazing up to the ceiling of the hospital room. Aiyanna lets out a soft moan, adjusting her head on Victor's lap and places her hand on his knee, rubbing it gently.

"Graceful in the face of adversity... One of the things I like about you." Aiyanna says softly, nuzzling her face into his thigh.