Chapter Two

*Hello Readers! Here is the second chapter of the story out early! Enjoy reading!*

          It seemed like they spared no expense for our visit. The banquet was in a gallant hall with dim lighting, and the walls had a kind of silver material embedded into them. They weren't smooth like they were at home, but rather chiseled into patterns of fruits and different herbs. Streamers of light greens and rich pinks hung from the grand ceiling. Giant pillars with plants growing inside of them spiraled from the floors to the top of the ceiling. 

On the far edge of the hall, beautifully winding staircases painted in many colors rose to the second floor of the building, with bright jade gems decorating them. Lighting the room were wooden-looking chandeliers with a kind of hanging vine growing from inside them. Low tones of music hummed softly in the background as entertainment and sounded mostly like small forest birds. Beings were gathered everywhere around the hall, dancing and laughing together in groups, and some standing off alone gathering refreshments. 

It was a beautiful sight but was also a bit overwhelming. Even as I wore the hood, the feel of stares stained my skin as widened eyes fell upon us. They were almost disturbingly curious about us, but they seemed like pleasant creatures.

We were led through the hall before turning towards a rather large doorway, which turned out to be the entrance to a balcony overseeing a large valley. Their world was truly beautiful. It wasn't as vibrant in floral colors as Eurkxo was, but rather had lush green fields of vegetation. In the distance I could see hills that seemed to have been chiseled into, making them look like stairs. I wondered if it was a natural occurrence on their planet, but instantly thought better of it. Most likely it was a specific farming trick they'd picked up since they were purely an agricultural planet with little to no technology.

My eyes turned from the balcony to follow a little E'arkan being who hurried towards us with what resembled a basket that was cone shaped with a curled-up tail. She also carried a bag on her shoulder which had something else in it. Koi said something to her so softly that we couldn't hear, and she nodded back as she let the bag slide down from her shoulder. He took some kind of cup from the inside of the bag and reached into the basket. When he pulled the cup out, it was filled with some kind of liquid. He handed the cup to Rain, who nodded back in thanks. 

The E'arka wouldn't have been aware of his movements, but I noticed Rain's hesitation before he took a sip of the liquid. Unease swirled in my stomach. I knew we shouldn't offend them, but drinking or eating an unknown substance was a huge risk. 

I couldn't help the feelings of suspicion at giving our commander something without telling us what it was. Part of me was annoyed at how foolish Rain could be. He should've refused it, but another part of me knew we had to prove we trusted each other. It wasn't as if the E'arkan knew how many had died from poison just from a touch to a glass to quench their thirst.

My body tensed seeing Koi smile as Rain took another sip from under his hood, and I sent a quiet prayer to the heavens. My brother paused for a minute before he gave the cup back to Koi.

"It is good." Rain said, to my great relief, but a small voice whispered in the back of my mind that it might not have been instant poison. Koi continued smiling as he called us back through the doorway and into the main room once again.

"Please!" he gestured to the surrounding area. "The banquet is yours, enjoy the banquet." My eyes darted around the room from under my hood. It seemed like it would be enjoyable enough, if it weren't for the fact we would have to be cautious of everything we said and did.

"Come!" The one called Toa, said. 

She had only gestured to me, Tehayo, and Erayame, but not Adam and Rain. I reached out and brush my brother's arm in an attempt to gain a subtle answer without being rude to the little people. He answered by simply flicking his wrist, a gesture that gave us permission to leave. Without any hesitation, I led the way to follow Toa across the hall, maneuvering through the crowds.