Chapter Twenty-Four

I found Rain and Sovren together near one of the tents along with Garettano, talking to a group of soldiers. I hurried over to them and they bowed their heads when they noticed me coming their way.

"Rain, Sovren." I turned towards Garettano and nodded my head. "Garettano, I take it you've been informed?"

"Yes, Empress."

He turned towards the soldiers and motioned for them to disperse. The group hurried off to do whatever tasks they'd been assigned, and Garettano turned back to me, giving me a look that said they were ready for whatever I had to tell them.

"We lack a way to navigate, we don't know these jungles. We don't have the time to get lost or scout out a safe path." I said, getting straight to the point. Sovren nodded as if he'd been thinking the same.

"You're correct, Empress. We risk losing our way."

"We could have Jamieson arrange a map to the facility, but it may not be accurate." Garettano chimed in thoughtfully.

I shook my head in response. "It would take too much time." Before any of them could respond, I continued. "I had a different idea."

"What's the idea?" Rain asked, crossing his arms in interest.

"I thought perhaps we should arrange a guide."

"A guide?" Both Rain and Sovren said at the same time with a glance at each other. A soft smile appeared on Garettano's lips.

"Ah, I get what you plan to do."

"Yes, the young Ovidō male we have here with us. He seemed to know these woods well enough. I am almost certain he knows where this facility was built." Understanding dawned on Rain and Sovren's faces.

"I do believe Ravaphalor knows it well, I've asked him many questions about the layouts in these woods, and his answers add up." Sovren commented proudly.

"Empress, if I may. We don't know if he can be trusted." Rain said through a frown.

I nodded, "I understand that, and as much as I don't like the idea of putting our trust in an Ovidōian, he's our best chance at getting there as quickly as possible."

"The Ovidō may be greedy creatures, but they are not fools. He knows he has a better chance of survival with us than helping Elnorsefall." Garettano said, supporting my decision. Sovren turned to Rain and shrugged.

"I see no real harm in it other than him driving us crazy."

Rain frowned deeper as if the thought hadn't occurred to him till now.

I smile, "Excellent, inform him that he will be accompanying us." I noticed Rain shifting and I tilted my head at him.

"Empress, what of the other? His cousin?" He stroked his chin thoughtfully. "She would be here, left alone. He will not agree to her being a prisoner here."

"Of course not, from this point forward, neither of them are considered prisoners." Another idea forms in my mind. "Let both of them know of our plans. She could be an asset in spreading the word to the camps. She will be our contact. As for us, we leave tonight."

"Understood, Empress. If I may, I suggest you change into something more appropriate for... rougher terrain." Sovren's cheeks turned slightly red as he looked over at me. I raised a brow at him, but knew he was right. I needed something comfortable, but also something that would blend in with the rest of the soldiers.

"Acknowledged, Sovren." I nodded my head in goodbye and walked away. With a quick request to a soldier to point me in the right direction, I found the tent that kept extra uniforms. This tent was different than the others in the sense it was an actual covered one on all sides, which I was glad for because I needed to change. I just hoped there was one my size. Most of the female soldiers were considerably bigger than me from building up their muscle mass, whereas I hadn't. Most civilians and royals had no need to build muscle. Our military only did so in case their phantasm was compromised. Greater physical strength could easily become an advantage if the enemy was sloppy with their control. I made my way over to where a stack of female uniforms laid out in crates. I checked to see if anyone was on their way in before quickly slipping out of my dress into the more comfortable fitted pants and long-sleeved vest that surprisingly kept me cool rather than hot. It also came with a weapons belt. The material was fascinating. I'd never worn something like it before, but I'd felt it from Rain's past uniforms. It was specifically made to work with our agility and phantasm makeup. It hardened upon impact but remained soft until then.