Chapter Thirty

*Trigger Warning for a slight aggressive behavior*

      "Me, yah." Adam said with a laugh. Feeling returned to my body in hot rage. No longer feeling numb, I finally spoke.

"But it's not possible... no."

I didn't want to believe it; I didn't want to feel this sickening rage swim through my body. "How long? How long have you been working for them?"

It was a question I dreaded the answer to but needed to hear. We needed to know just how long we'd been compromised even if it hurt as if someone was ripping my heart out of my chest.

"Since always. The Union was never interested in y'er folks, just conquering other worlds." He shrugged his shoulders as if it should've been obvious.

Breathe, you must breathe. This is what your father wants, to break you. You can't let him.

I lifted my chin and forced my muscles to relax. I could do this, I just had to take the hardest step forward of my life. Adam raised an eyebrow at me as I stepped forward, but I ignored the gesture, choosing to stand tall.

"We thought it was a Fehichen who betrayed our alliance and trades, but it never was, was it? You were working with the MioTamir Union from the beginning, feeding them information on us." 

My fists clenched at the memory of how he'd acted when we chose to ally with the Fehichen. "Which would explain why you disagreed about going to Vaymos for a possible allegiance with them." I let out a short laugh. "Because even you knew that forming that alliance would be something the MioTamir Union wouldn't overcome so easily."

He jerked his chin up haughtily. From his reaction, I knew I was right.

"They're an unfortunate complication but being dealt with'er just fine." He insisted.

I gave him an obviously fake sweet smile. "Oh, I'm certain you're trying."

Since leaving Eurkxo, we had had very little contact about how their war was faring, but from his response, I took it Eurkxo was winning. He laughed darkly in response.

"Please, Clove. We'er be victorious in this battle. 'Specially after we'er have help from our new friends." I noticed his speech was more formal than I was used to. His accent was hardly noticeable anymore.

I guess that all had been a cover too...

My heart clenched at the thought.

"So, in return for helping Elnorsefall catch us royals, they have offered the MioTamir Union aid in their battle against Eurkxo? Pity that you're not strong enough to take them down yourself. I'm not surprised, after all, I'm the one who decided an alliance with them would be vital."

"An ingenious decision I must add, daughter." Zaphon, my father, said from behind me. 

Hearing the pride in his voice made me sick to my stomach. I felt myself tense up as he stepped so close, he was nearly touching me. I prayed he wouldn't. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep myself from wanting to get away from him, and I didn't want him to see just how much this betrayal was affecting me. I looked Adam dead in the eyes when he stepped before me. There was only one last question I had left for him.

"What did you do to Lucia?"

He stiffened, a real expression coming over him for the first time that made him almost look... sorry. It quickly vanished before I could say anything.

"The MioTamir Union ambushed them, but they managed to disappear'n the Forbidden Region... for now." He grinned sinisterly at the last bit. Hope bloomed in me at the thought of Lucia being safe. It was the only good news I could have in this situation.