Chapter Twenty-Eight

My body went rigid at the sight.

This can't be happening...

I rushed over to him, ignoring Xorion's reaching arm. Sovren, one of the strongest men I knew, lay on the ground, struggling to breathe.

It can't be...

I dropped to my knees and took hold of his hand while looking up at Jamieson, desperate for answers. Jamieson shook his head at me, telling me nothing could be done to help him. Xorion knelt beside me, tears streaming down his face.

"You're okay, you're going to be okay." I said soothingly, moving a lock of hair out of his face. He smiled painfully.

"You're lying... but thank you." He sighed, tightening his hand around mine. "They always said I was careless with my phantasm, but I wouldn't change it if it meant saving you, Empress."

"We can save him, I know we can save him." I told Jamieson, but he was already shaking his head before I even finished my sentence.

"Not here, Empress."

My eyes flashed with anger.

"Then we take him with us!"

"We can't, Clove." Xorion said, rubbing his hand up and down my back. I shifted away from him, my vision blurring with tears.

"We can't leave him here, they'll find him!" I yelled, trying to talk some sense into them. I wasn't going to leave him, I couldn't just leave him. Sovren squeezed my hand again.

"Yes," he said calmly. I looked at him confused while he continued to smile. "Yes, they'll find me, but I'll be ready for them." With his other hand he took out the pill Rain handed out to all of us.

"No! Sovren, no." I begged. "I-"

"Clove, go. They'll be here soon." Sovren said desperately. I shook my head, refusing to just leave him behind.

"I'm the reason you're here, I-"

He rolled his eyes at me.

"I made my own choice, Clove. Don't take that from me. Wouldn't have changed anything at all about my life. I get to die taking their scum down with me." he grinned, "I would have followed you to hell. It was my choice in the end, don't blame yourself."

He coughed, blood running down the side of his mouth. His voice dropped to a whisper so all three of us had to lean down to hear him.

"Do something for me, will you?" He closed his eyes. "Live. Finish the mission, and live." He opened his eyes and looked at me, then at Xorion. "You two deserve that much. Live on... for me."

I choked back a sob as Xorion grabbed his friend's face, putting his head to his.

"The gates of your eternal paradise will be opened wide for you, my friend." he whispered. Alarms started blaring around us, and the soldiers shifted worriedly, anxious to get out of there. Sovren gave Xorion a thankful smile as he pulled away, and whispered,

"Go. T-That's an order."

Xorion lifted me up to my feet by my waist. I didn't fight him, even though I wanted to, but I had to respect Sovren's last order. He pulled me away from Sovren, dragging me forward by my arm. I turned my head to give one last memorable look to Sovren as red lights flashed around us, and wished him a safe journey to the next life.

"We're going to bring down this facility, we're going to kill every last Elnorsefall being who dares target us. For you, Sovren." With that promise, we run.