Chapter Eighteen

*Friday's chapter is here! This chapter marks the halfway point of the book! Happy reading!*

         I walked down the halls with my head held high. Those who walked past me, paused to stare as if they weren't sure how to react before they bow their heads in respect, but I gave them little mind. I was searching. If my eldest brother wanted me to be an Empress, I would play the part of an Empress. It couldn't be different from being on the council back on Eurkxo. That council was established based on V'rasór's. 

To secure one's position, one needs to get people to follow you. It was the same concept as being Empress, except I needed a lot more people to follow me. I needed more than a title, I needed devotion and trust. I did have an advantage, unlike my brother, I wouldn't be a stand-in, and I was new. Those who disliked certain things about my brother would look to me in the hope I would be different. I spotted a lone guard standing by the wall of the hallway.

My first prey...

The guard immediately stood tall when he saw me approach him, and he gave a low bow of his head.

"Empress, how may I serve you?" The guard asked as he lifted his head. His eyes gave away his excitement. He was happy I approached him.

"Escort me to the chambers the Emperor has prepared for me." I ordered, keeping my tone level as I tried to appear confident. The guard immediately bowed his head once more and stepped forward to lead the way. 

I remembered the palace vaguely from when I was young and would visit my brother, but it was so long ago that it was difficult to recall the layout to its full extent. It was better to ask for an escort then to be seen wandering around until I finally found my way. Besides, this would give me a chance to introduce myself to Cronos's Watchers.

"Of course, Empress. Right this way." The guard said, indicating for me to follow him. He led me down a staircase and down another hallway until we reach a room that has two pillars of water flowing at the sides of its door. When the door sensed our arrival, it opened.

"Greetings."

The female robotic voice said as I entered. It was way bigger than my bedroom back home. I tried not to gasp in awe as I turned around to dismiss the guard.

"Thank you for your assistance." 

The guard bowed his head at my thanks, and I flicked my wrist to dismiss him. As soon as the door closed, I made my way over to the washroom to take a shower. I was too tired to enjoy a long wash, so instead I just took a quick rinse. Though the water scented sweet hinting it was sanitizing water, I decided to still smear a bit of the soapy substance over my body, letting it sink into my skin, cleaning my pores. I ran the substance through my hair, cleaning out the excess oil it produced. Unlike Eurkxo, this planet's sun was bigger, and brighter, and though it didn't feel as hot because of the water on the planet absorbing the heat, our skin was still delicate. I knew most body applied substances had ingredients for protection against it, something I'd need if I was going to be staying on this planet for a while. 

I shut off the water, and the surrounding walls shot out warm air, drying my body. As soon I was dry, I threw on a clean underdress and take advantage of the bed, throwing myself on top of it while swinging a blanket over me. I was so... tired.

I wanted...

My thoughts drifted away as my eyes fluttered shut. It had been a long day. What I wanted was to sleep.

My dreams were filled with memories of my brothers, of us all playing together as children. Me and Cronos always fought. Rain was always the one to stop our quarrels. I didn't like thinking about the memories. It felt like my dreams were mocking me.