Chapter Three, Willow Tree

CHAPTER THREE, Willow Tree

Again. The dream happened again. Only time would tell how many more nights Samansa would have to go through, hoping that the next would finally be the last. Why was it happening again? It didn't have to happen again. There was no reason. There couldn't have been one. She already went through this damn cycle once... maybe it was a coincidence? Hopefully so.

"Good morning, Samansa." Mr Yashiro walks into the classroom, watching as Samansa hangs up her coat. He smiled as he put his bag down on the desk. Samansa nods back, and takes her gloves off, sticking them into the coat's pockets.

"...You're here early, as usual. Why not sleep in a bit like the rest?" He asks, resting his arm against his desk.

"Used to it. Don't like changing my schedule." She shrugs, taking a seat. Would... Mr Yashiro be a good person to talk to? Could she really trust him with... whatever the hell she was experiencing? No... he was just her 5th-grade teacher. Not someone she should trust so easily like the rest. Sure, he was a chill and fun guy, but still. He's just a teacher. Nothing more. She thinks back to her dream and decides to speak up.

"Mr Yashiro? Has there... been any reported case of suicide around?"

"...Um, yes. Just this morning." Mr Yashiro grimaces. "Why're you asking, Samansa?"

"..No.. nothing, just overheard my parents talking about it." She lies through her teeth. No way was she going to tell the truth just like that. Samansa sighs and watches the other students flood the classroom. Maybe she'll get some more information later that day. She shouldn't let it bother her so much again.

As more students started to come into the classroom, the bell rang, signalling the beginning of the school day. As the students sat down in their chairs, Mr Yashiro stood at the podium and spoke. "Good morning, class." They all greeted him back, and class began as usual.

The day wasn't anything special. Samansa managed to get her mind off the night and took part in the class without any distractions. Yotsuba and Samansa spoke about a new series they started and hung out the entire day again. After the bell rings, Samansa stays behind for a bit, letting Yotsuba leave without her. Samansa's having a bit of trouble with packing, although it... almost looks faked.

She waits for everyone to leave, and eventually walks over to Mr Yashiro, waiting for him to say something first.

"What's up, Samansa?" He looks over at her and crouches down to her level.

"...Can you tell me about that suicide?"

The man's eyes widen slightly, she was really adamant about it... He sighs and takes a seat in a student's chair.

"...It was a student from the other elementary school. She played on the football team you played against last May. She was found hanging from a willow tree near the bridge. Only about 5 minutes away from our school... but 20 minutes away from the other." Mr Yashiro scratches the back of his neck. "...The police ruled it as a suicide... but... well, I suppose I'm not qualified to make any assumptions myself, considering I haven't seen the scene in person."

Samansa nods and looks at the ground. She thanks him and walks off to grab her things.

"Samansa." She feels a hand on her shoulder, and she turns around to see Mr Yashiro looking down at her with an... almost annoyed expression. "Is that all you wanted to say?"

The girl rolls her eyes, and gives him a look that screams 'obviously.' He lets her go, and she rushes down the stairs again. She has to get to that tree. She has to see it for herself. No matter how traumatising that scene might be, no matter how much it'll disgust her. That closure is all she needs. Was that dream accurate? Was she somehow able to... see how these deaths are happening?