Chapter Eighteen, Chase

CHAPTER 18, Chase

The man's expression changes immediately, and now he sounds mildly surprised. "...Oh?" Both of his eyebrows are now raised, and he leans back in his chair. "Well, go on. I'm listening."

"Okay, okay! So- basically, I was walking with my friend, visiting family on the same street, and when she walks into her house, I see a guy running out from a hiding spot in her backyard! Keep in mind, a lot of his victims were slowly starting to become people connected to our school!" ...Well, she was a horrible storyteller... and that was probably the worst way to start a report...

Unfortunately, her story was... incredibly vague and boring. The man at the reception still seemed somewhat interested, however, he couldn't help but look somewhat confused. "...Uh, and you're sure he was in hiding? Could it... just be a delivery man or something?"

"Do delivery men really deliver at this hour? I find that hard to believe... and none of them dress in full black if I'm getting my facts right!"

The man pauses for a moment, and he sighs, giving her a mildly unamused look. "...You'd be shocked at how many delivery men are assigned for night shifts." He replied, a little sarcastic. "Look, can you describe what he looked like?"

Samansa crosses her arms and frowns, and right as she's about to speak, she spots her dad heading out of an office. Mr Yashiro seems to have noticed her dad as well, he gives a small nervous smile, and whispers under his breath. "That's him alright..."

Mr Hearsewell eventually spots Samansa, and his face lights up with recognition. "Samansa? Is that you?" He calls out, now heading towards them with a smile. Mr Yashiro's breath hitches, and he takes a cautionary step back, trying not to get caught in any conversation. He glances around again, silently praying that the cops he and Samansa spoke to a while ago weren't present. Being alone with Samansa was bad enough, but with her dad being around as well...

...He'd be lucky to walk out of this hell hole of a police station with his life.

Mr Hearsewell gives his daughter a concerned look, "Hey, what are you doing here?" He asks, before glancing over at Mr Yashiro, noticing how the man seemed to be a little nervous "...Mr Yashiro, you're here as well?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

Mr Yashiro flinches slightly when Mr Hearsewell calls out to him, and he gives a nervous chuckle. "Uh, ah, yeah." He replies, mentally cursing at himself for being so obvious with his nerves. If this guy thought he was suspicious before... oh boy this wasn't helping his case. "I'm just accompanying Samansa here."

Mr Hearsewell sticks his hand out, and introduces himself fully. "I'm afraid we never got to talk one on one. I'm Reto Hearsewell, I've been the Chief Detective here for the last decade."

Mr Yashiro glances at the man's hand, and hesitantly reaches out to shake it. He'll be damned if another member of the Hearsewell... or... Karugane family was willing to share pleasantries with him. "It's a pleasure to officially meet you." He responds, trying his best to act normal. "You probably know why your daughter is here though, I'm guessing?" He looks over at Samansa, who was sitting, leaned against the reception desk.

Samansa looks over at the receptionist, and sighs. He gestures at the phone on his desk, meaning Samansa would get to speak to a forensic sketch artist and someone who'd be writing down her witness report.

Mr Hearsewell seems a little confused, and he glances from Samansa, to Mr Yashiro, then back to Samansa again. His eyes narrow slightly, and he tilts his head with a curious expression on his face. "What're you here to report, Samansa?

"I saw the killer, I think."

The Detective freezes, and now he looks legitimately worried. His eyes widen and he lets out a scoff, "Seriously? You're not joking?" He asks, his head whipping from Samansa to Mr Yashiro again, trying to see if this was some sort of joke. "Did he see you?!"