Chapter Ten, Cop Car

CHAPTER TEN, Cop Car

Mr Yashiro takes a moment to lean against his car, closing his eyes as a heavy sigh escapes his lips. He takes a deep breath, attempting to collect his thoughts and the evidence he mentally gathered. He continues to steal glances at Samansa, who continues sitting on the sidewalk. After a few seconds, he pushes off the car and slowly walks over to where Samansa is sitting, his expression solemn. He crouches down beside her, "The police are on their way." Mr Yashiro mutters quietly. "They asked us to stay where we are until they arrive."

"...They always say that." She shrugs, "why would someone leave after calling the cops? You're meant to give a witness statement."

Mr Yashiro raises an eyebrow at her comment, "you've encountered situations like this before?" He inquires, with a small smirk on his face.

"Nah, why?" She looks up, eyebrow raised.

The teacher's expression softens slightly, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "You just seemed a bit too casual about all this. Most people would be panicking or freaking out... yet you're sitting here so calmly."

"My dad's a detective." Samansa says with a shrug, again. Not only that... she's learnt the majority of these types of procedures from her favourite shows. Mr Yashiro nods in understanding, a look of realization crossing his face. "Ah, that explains it. So, you know a bit about police procedure, then?"

"...A bit. Just heard stories from him." Samansa gets uo as she hears a car approach. The sirens were turned off, so the two weren't necessarily sure if it was the cops or not... Mr Yashiro turns to look in the direction of the approaching vehicle, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. He gestures for Samansa to say behind him, but she doesn't comply. The car slowly rolls to a stop nearby, the engine falling silent. The windows are tinted, making it impossible to see who's inside. Samansa tries to glance at the scene, but Yashiro's trenchcoat obscures her view. She groans in annoyance.

Mr Yashiro takes a silent breath as the car comes to a stop. He cautiously watches as 2 male police officers get out of the car. The two are donned in black winter coats, their eyes scanning the surroundings with suspicion. Samansa looks up at them in pure awe. She's never actually seen a cop this close up - well, besides when she was really young and her dad would take her to the station to pick up reports. With smooth strides, the officers approach Mr Yashiro and Samansa, their expressions stoic as they take in the scene before them. The taller man, in his mid-40s, breaks the silence.

"I'm Officer Suzuki, and this is my partner Officer Takeo." He introduces them, gesturing at the man beside with his free hand. "Are you the one who called in the report?"

As Mr Yashiro nods, Samansa puts her hands in her pockets, and gets up. She begins listening in, trying to block out anything else she could be listening to. Mr Yashiro politely bows his head, "yes, I'm the one who made the report. I'm Gaku Yashiro, a teacher at the local elementary school." He explains, voice calm and measured.

Officer Suzuki nods in acknowledgement. "And this young lady here?"

Samansa looks up, slightly embarrassed, hoping Mr Yashiro would answer for her. Speaking to adults was never her strong suit, as much as she wanted to be liked and respected by them. Her brief moment of shyness doesn't go unnoticed by the officer, and his gaze returns to Mr Yashiro. "Does she belong to you?"

"No, she's a student from my class." He shakes his head, quickly glancing at her - before returning his attention to the police officer. Officer Suzuki nods, and a flicker of curiosity passes over his expression. He looks between the two, before speaking again.

"...And how exactly does she fit into the situation?"

Officer Takeo looks up from his clipboard, quickly his own question into the mix, "and why exactly did she even come with you in the first place?"