I Stay at the Lotus Casino

Y/N's POV.

Ares was waiting for us in the diner parking lot.

"Well, well," he said with a sly grin. "You didn't get yourself killed."

"You set us up!" Percy yelled.

Ares only laughed in response. "Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids." He focused on Me and Annabeth specifically. "You two looked good on TV." He chuckled

Percy shoved his shield into his chest, "You're a jerk."

Annabeth and Grover caught their breath.

Ares grabbed the shield and spun it in the air, turning it into a bulletproof vest that he slung across his back.

"See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street from the diner. "That's your ride. It'll take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

The eighteen-wheeler had a sign on the back:

KINDNESS INTERNATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORT.

WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS

"You're Kidding?" Percy gawked.

Ares snapped his fingers, and the back door of the truck unlatched.

"Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job." Ares pulled out a blue nylon backpack off of his motorcycle handlebars and tossed it to me. Inside, I found a fresh pair of clothes for all of us, 20 bucks, a bag of gold drachmas, and a bag of double-stuffed Oreos. I frowned at the last thing. I liked the thin ones better.

Percy started, "We don't want your lousy-"

"Thank you, Lord Ares," Grover interrupted, giving him his best 'don't finish that sentence, or we all get turned into rodents and run over' look. "Thanks a lot"

Glancing back at the diner, I noticed a few curious onlookers, including the waitress who had taken our orders. A fry cook came out of the kitchen with a disposable camera and snapped a picture of us.

Crap...

"You owe Percy one more thing," I reminded Ares. "You promised him you'd give him information on his mom."

"You sure you can handle the news?" he revved his motorcycle. "She's not dead."

"What do you mean?" Percy demanded.

"I mean, she was taken away from the Minotaur before she could die. She turned into a shower of gold, right? That's metamorphosis. Not death. She's being kept."

"A hostage?" I guessed.

"Bingo," Ares confirmed. "Classic strategy, you take somebody to control somebody else."

"Nobody's controlling me," Percy countered.

Ares let out a laugh. "Oh yeah? See you around, kid."

Percy stepped forward, "You're pretty smug, Lord Ares, for a guy who runs from Cupid statues."

Behind his sunglasses, fire shined bright as he glared at Percy.

"We'll meet again, Percy Jackson. Next time you're in a fight, watch your back." He revved his Harley and sped off.

"That was stupid, Percy." Annabeth sighed.