Snow Day

[Y/N's POV, December 13th]

Leah, Lou, and I were walking home from the grocery store with bags of food and other essentials when snow started falling.

That's right, snow.

All of us, being Texas natives, rarely saw snow. This was a once-in-a-year, heck, once-in-a-decade opportunity.

We all rushed home. For the first time in our lives, we were eager to turn on the news and hear what the weatherman had to say.

We barged through the front door, throwing off our outer layers of winter clothing and filing into the living room.

Lou grabbed the remote and flipped the TV on, switching to NBC-5-DFW.

The weather guy was standing in front of one of those big weather maps that they used to point out the temperature, rain, wind, and other weather conditions. We'd caught him in the middle of listing off school districts that would be hit by snow.

"—Mansfield, Arlington, Kennedale, Cedar Hill, Hillcrest, Lewisville, Oakhill. All of the previous districts, along with the majority of the metroplex, will be hit with approximately 4-6 inches of snow. Snowfall will continue through the night into tomorrow morning. We advise—"

Lou shut off the TV, and Mom happened to open the door as we did.

"I'm sure you've all heard the news by now," she told us, removing her coat. "I think we could do some Christmas stuff. Maybe watch some Christmas movies tomorrow night. I stocked up on snacks and stuff since I remembered seeing the forecast of possible snow."

"That'd be nice," Leah said, removing her beanie from her head.

"Great! Y/N, sweetie, do you mind getting firewood before the trees get all wet from the snow?" Mom asked.

"Uhhh, yeah, sure. I'll be back in five," I muttered, slipping my coat back on and grabbing an ax from the shed before I left.

I looked both ways before I started running. I didn't want anybody to see a super speed ax-wielding maniac running around now, did we?

It took me about 3 minutes to reach a relatively secluded area of woods where I could do my work.

The trees around were mostly cedar, so it wasn't the greatest wood to burn, but we still had some oak from last winter.

I got to work bringing down a small tree. Was this legal? Probably not, but it's whatever. It took me less than five minutes to get the thing falling to the floor.

I slipped my green beanie off my head and wiped my forehead, having somehow worked up a sweat even in this below-freezing temperature. I propped myself up on the ax and inspected my handiwork momentarily before a familiar voice called out.

"What's Cookin 'Good Lookin'?"

Smack!